MSc International Business
Why choose Herts?
- Flexibility: You have the option either to complete the course on fast track in one academic year, or in two years with a choice of a work placement or advanced research.
- Industry Connections: Hertfordshire Business School is very well connected and hosts regular business networking events with large organisations such as BT, Tesco, and Ocado.
- Employment Prospects: Our graduates are Business Developers, Senior Managers, and Commercial Operation Managers in organisations including Royal Mail, Network Rail, and BT.
About the course
MSc International Business is an innovative flagship programme with flexible entry points and pathways. The programme is designed to help you build a strong understanding of the way organisations operate globally, and help develop specialist skills that enable you to work effectively across national borders.
The programme offers 3 award routes that you can choose to study:
- One-year full-time MSc International Business (September & January entry)
- Two-year MSc International Business (Sandwich) (September entry only)
- Two-year MSc International Business with Advanced Research (September entry only)
The one-year full-time MSc International Business welcomes you for both September and January entry.
The programme offers you the opportunity to explore international business in a number of areas, including economics, finance, strategy, marketing, management, human resource, and supply chain management. There will also be the opportunity to conduct an independent major research project in your area of interest.
Throughout the programme, you will gain a unique combination of skills sought after by employers all over the world. These include communication, numeracy, team-working, cross-cultural awareness, reflective learning and the ability to critically analyse complex business challenges to reach considered creative solutions.
You will also build a strong network of international contacts – some will become your close friends and a few may even become your future business partners.
Why choose this course?
The one-year full-time programme is a great opportunity for those of you who want to pursue traditional postgraduate study in the UK for just one year. It provides the opportunity for you to
- Study a range of business subjects from a holistic perspective in an international business context
- Develop a unique combination of skills that are transferrable to a professional workplace and sought after by employers worldwide
- Obtain a world-recognised Masters’ degree and move on to further studies or employment after just one academic year (12 months)
- Engage in a wider university curriculum within our diverse community, and enhance your employability to graduate with more than just a degree (Go Herts Awards)
What will I study?
You will study 8 subjects led by experts in the field which include economics, finance, strategy, marketing, human resource and supply chain management in the first two semesters (semester A and B), and conduct an independent major research project in the last semester (Semester C) supported by a supervisor.
You will be taught through a varied programme of teaching and learning that includes small group discussions, practical workshops, web-based learning, case study analysis and lectures. Sessions will be delivered by subject specialists as well as practitioners and consultants to provide a diverse perspective on the topics covered.
You will be assessed individually or in teams through a variety of assessment methods including written reports of various lengths, presentations, in-class tests and practical assignments. You will also be required to complete a longer research project for the research component of your programme.
|The Global Economy||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|International Business Strategy||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|International Supply Chain Management||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Global e-Business||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Finance for International Business||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Marketing Across Cultures||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|International and Comparative HRM||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Leadership and Management in International Business||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|MSc IB Major Research Project||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Business Research Methods||15 Credits||Compulsory|
Dr Priyanka Roy
Deputy Programme Leader
Dr Xiangping (Suzie) Du
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc International Business||Download|
|MSc International Business||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.