MSc Medical Microbiology with Placement Year
Why choose Herts?
- Teaching Excellence: You will be taught by renowned researchers within our new multi-million-pound science facility.
- Industry-Focused Course Content: Explore current research areas including antimicrobial resistant, diagnosis, and pathogenesis of disease.
- Work-Related Learning: You have a sandwich year pathway available for you to find your own placement and enhance your employability.
Entry requirements and key information
The normal entry requirements for the programme are:
- An Honours Degree in Biomedical and related sciences with a background in molecular biology, genetics and immunology with a final classification grade of a minimum 60% with evidence of having completed a research project and practical experience in a range of laboratory techniques relevant to the course such as bacterial culturing, DNA extraction, PCR and gel electrophoresis
- A professional qualification accepted as equivalent to the above; or
- A qualification in veterinary science, medicine or dentistry; or
- A first or second class Honours Degree in disciplines other than those described above but where the applicant, in the opinion of the Programme Leader, would benefit from, and succeed on, the programme
- Students will be selected through interview.
In addition, all international students are required to demonstrate an English Language capability of IELTS 7 (with no less than 6.5 in any band) or equivalent qualification.
School of study
School of Life and Medical Sciences
- Sandwich, 2 Years
- University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield
Sign up for alerts
Get access to personalised content, tailored towards your interests:
- Information on your favourite courses
- Tips to help you through the application process
- Blogs, vlogs and advice from current students
What job can I get?
Upon graduation, you may go on to work in a broad range of fields including: medical or pharmaceutical research, clinical trials, public health and epidemiology, academia research, medical writing/science journalism, education, or patent law. Alternatively, you may also use the MSc medical Microbiology to underpin an application to study for a research degree such as MRes, MSc by Research, or a PhD in a related field.
About the course
The MSc Medical Microbiology with Placement Year will equip you with the skills and in-depth knowledge required to have an impactful career in a range of sectors such. The course will help you develop extensive theoretical and practical laboratory skills in by building on the research expertise of the teaching team. Techniques and theoretical skills include: antimicrobial susceptibility testing, antibiotic resistance-gene analysis, microbial identification (16SrRNA sequencing and MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry), parasite identification, next generation sequencing analysis, bacteriophage isolation and purification, antibiotic discovery and characterisation, and mammalian cell culture.
You’ll be taught by expert speakers from the biopharmaceutical industry, academic experts from other universities and the University of Hertfordshire staff. With our modern facilities, emphasis on laboratory work, and teaching underpinned by the latest research, you’ll be qualified to launch a career in research and development for biopharmaceutical companies. You could also work in a wide range of non-laboratory job roles across a range of sectors, including academia and microbiology.
Alternatively, consider taking our other MSc Medical Microbiology routes:
Why choose this course?
- You’ll be taught by expert staff in medical microbiology, who have worked in academic research, clinical research, the NHS, and the biopharmaceuticals sector
- You’ll benefit from pioneering guest lecturers from academia and industry
- Our modern Science Building provides excellent facilities for laboratory work, including QPCR, cell culture, protein analysis, isolated tissue studies and immunohistochemistry
- Upon graduation, you’ll be equipped to work in a wide range of roles in the medical microbiology and biotechnology industries
- If successful, you will have the opportunity to apply for a 12-month placement. If you are not successful in finding a placement position, you can transfer to the MSc Medical Microbiology with Advanced Research route.
- We adopt a blended learning approach to teaching, focussing on problem-based scenarios so you can develop strong critical analysis skills. You’ll have substantial exposure to practical techniques and guaranteed laboratory-based research projects.
What will I study?
We’ll provide you with opportunities to develop your knowledge of the molecular pathogenesis of clinically significant microorganisms. You’ll study selected pathogens and learn how diseases are spread, diagnosed, treated, and prevented.
The course includes a series of taught modules covering topics such as cell biology and immunology, genetics and protein biology, antimicrobial resistance, diagnostic techniques, emerging viruses and fungi, research design and analysis, microbiome studies, biotechnology. There’s also a specialist research project where you can focus on a research topic that interests you. You’ll benefit from our problem-based teaching approach and develop advanced critical analysis and group working skills.
You’ll undertake a practical project as part of your MSc enabling you to use our expert facilities. You’ll work alongside researchers in our Biosciences Research Group and gain vital experience. Current research projects include studies in the following broad areas:
- Novel antimicrobial agent development
- Bacterial pathogen physiology and virulence, e.g. Clostridioides difficile, Mycobacterium spp., Klebsiella spp., Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphylococcus aureus
- Antimicrobial resistance studies
- Extracellular vesicles and links to infection processes
- Bacteriophage biology and resistance gene transfer
- MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry for microbial identification and characterisation
|Genetics and Protein Biology||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Contemporary Topics in Medical Microbiology||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Genome Science||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Research Project with Research Methods||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Molecular Cell Biology and Immunology||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|MSc Biosciences Placement Year||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|Work Placement Assessment||0 Credits||Compulsory|
Dr Madhu Goyal
Principal Lecturer and Programme Leader
Find out more about Dr Madhu Goyal
Dr Shan Goh
Find out more about Dr Shan Goh
Dr Simon Baines
Subject Group Lead
Find out more about Dr Simon Baines
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Medical Microbiology||Download|
|MSc Medical Microbiology||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
Find out about how we support our students
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Funding and fees
Other financial support
Find out more about other financial support available to UK and EU students
- £12900 for 2023/2024 and 2024/2025 inclusive
- £17950 for 2023/2024 and 2024/2025 inclusive
- £17950 for 2023/2024 and 2024/2025 inclusive
*Tuition fees are charged annually. The fees quoted above are for the specified year(s) only. Fees may be higher in future years, for both new and continuing students. Please see the University's Fees and Finance Policy (and in particular the section headed "When tuition fees change"), for further information about when and by how much the University may increase its fees for future years.
View detailed information about tuition fees
Living costs / accommodation
The University of Hertfordshire offers a great choice of student accommodation, on campus or nearby in the local area, to suit every student budget.
View detailed information about our accommodation
How to apply
International/EU applicants without pre-settled status in the UK
Apply through our international/EU application portal
Home and EU applicants with pre-settled/settled status in the UK
Start Date End Date Link 21/09/2023 31/05/2024 Apply online (Full Time/Sandwich)
Start Date End Date Link 21/09/2024 31/05/2025 Apply online (Full Time/Sandwich)