MSc Mechanical Engineering (18-month route)
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
The MSc Mechanical Engineering course is accredited by RAes and IMechE and is accredited as meeting the further learning requirement for Chartered Engineer (CEng) registration for the cohort intakes from 2016 up to and including, the January 2020 intake. The programme has been recently reviewed and updated by the University as part of its regular periodic review process, and we will be seeking IMechE accreditation for the 2020/21 intake.
About the course
This programme has been developed to meet the growing need for postgraduate skills within the engineering industry, and the demand for professional development for graduate engineers. The programme integrates the mechanical engineering subjects with key generic skills in management and research methods. This approach will help to develop your critical thinking skills as a future engineering manager, or technical specialist enabling you to effectively analyse technical and management issues. The University of Hertfordshire has a worldwide reputation for excellence in applied mechanical engineering. This international reputation will give you the opportunity to study with graduates from universities worldwide. You will benefit from the expertise of guest speakers from industry where relevant and appropriate.
The programme will:
- provide education and experience to support your professional employment and career development within the industry
- focus on the links between engineering analysis and design and supporting management skills management
- provide a blend of knowledge and application experience through case studies and project work
- equip you with the theory and practice of relevant subjects, technologies and analytical tools to provide solutions for mechanical and related manufacturing problems
Why choose this course?
- The School has over 50 years' experience of teaching mechanical engineering and has established an excellent international reputation in this field;
- We offer extensive lab facilities for engineering students as well as the latest software packages and windtunnels;
- This MSc combines mechanical engineering subjects with key management and research methods.
What will I study?
The School of Engineering and Technology has a reputation for innovation in teaching and learning, where nearly all MSc modules are delivered through a combination of traditional face-to-face teaching and backup tutorial's using the University's StudyNet web based facility. StudyNet allows students to access electronic teaching and learning resources, and conduct electronic discussion's with staff and other students.
|MSc Project||60 Credits||Compulsory|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Mechanical Engineering (18-month route)||Download|
|MSc (Modular) Mechanical Engineering||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.