Book an open event
Thinking of studying for a postgraduate degree at the University of Hertfordshire? Let's Talk Postgrad is the perfect opportunity for you to speak directly to our expert academics to learn more about your course of interest, life as a postgraduate student and the opportunities that further study offers.
Hourly subject sessions take place from 18 - 22 March, at 16.00 or 17.00.
This online event will help you to:
- find out more about module content, delivery and assessment methods
- ask about employment prospects, our invaluable industry connections, accreditations and placement opportunities.
MSc Data Science and Analytics with Advanced Research
Why choose Herts?
- Industry Accreditation: Accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS) enabling graduates to register at The Chartered Institute for IT as a chartered IT professional.
- Work Placement Opportunities: You have a one-year placement option enabling you to gain real industry experience.
- Employment Prospects: Graduates in our department are now data scientists, data engineers, and data analytics consultants working for organisations including BT, IBM and Microsoft.
This new version of the programme has been carefully designed to achieve appropriate levels of accreditation, and BCS accreditation will be sought after the award title has its first group of graduates in 2020.
About the course
The School has a strong international reputation for research in this area and this expertise influences this course which explores current research and practice in data science and analytics, extending your knowledge and understanding of the principles and practice of obtaining data from various sources, the essential methods for pre-processing and cleaning data, data analytics and modelling. This MSc can lead to a career such as a data scientist.
Graduates obtaining this award will be equipped to pursue research to PhD level, or to enter specialist employment in technically advanced and unpredictable working environments requiring sound judgment and the exercise of personal responsibility and initiative.
The programme offers three award routes that you can choose to study:
- MSc Data Science and Analytics
- MSc Data Science and Analytics with Placement Year
- MSc Data Science and Analytics with Advanced Research
Why choose this course?
- 3rd for computer science in the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES, Advance HE, 2023).
- The award gives you the opportunity to study advanced research topics in computer science, normally across multiple specialisms, and comprehensive research methods, and to undertake an extended master's project on a cutting-edge research topic.
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism in Data Science and Analytics.
- Advanced topics studied include mathematics and programming of data science, data mining, machine learning and neural artificis, and data analytics applications.
- Taught by a highly-regarded and long-established computer science department.
- Computer Science saw 90% of its research ranked as world-leading (Research Excellence Framework, 2021).
What will I study?
Classes consist of lectures, small group seminars, and practical work in our well-equipped laboratories. We use modern, industry-standard software wherever possible. There are specialist facilities for networking and multimedia and a project laboratory especially for masters students. In addition to scheduled classes, you will be expected a significant amount of time in self-study, taking advantage of the extensive and up-to-date facilities. These include the Learning Resource Centres, open 24x7, with 1,500 computer workstations and wifi access, Studynet our versatile online study environment usable on and off campus, and open access to our labs.
Where will I study?
Learn in our brand-new School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science building, opening in 2024, where you’ll experience a range of experiential learning zones.
The computer science labs are home to telecommunications, robotics and UX empathy labs, with a variety of research spaces that range from dark rooms to clean rooms, and sample prep labs to calibration and assembly labs.
You will also benefit from a Success and Skills Support Unit, which is aimed at helping you build your employability and academic skills. Plus, have access to industry mentors who will provide you with pastoral support, vocational guidance, and career progression opportunities.
The new building will also provide space to collaborate, with plenty of workshops, social and meeting spaces available. Even better, the building has been designed with the University’s net zero carbon target in mind, and forms part of our plan to replace or upgrade older sites that are energy inefficient.
|Neural Networks and Machine Learning
|Foundations of Data Science
|Applied Data Science and Analytics
|Data Science and Analytics Masters Project
|Team Research and Development Project
|Advanced Research Topics in Computer Science
Further course information
|Course fact sheets
|MSc Data Science and Analytics with Advanced Research
|MSc Data Science and Analytics - Extended
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.