Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
About the course
The MSc in Data Science and Analytics utilises our strong international reputation for research in these areas. The expertise of our staff influences this course which explores current research and practice in data science and analytics, extending students’ knowledge and understanding of the principles and practice of obtaining data from various sources, the essential methods for pre-processing and cleaning data, data analytics and modelling.
This course is part of our Master's programme in Computer Science.
Why choose this course?
- This MSc is available with an optional one-year industry placement.
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate Master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism in Data Science and Analytics
- Advanced topics studied include mathematics and programming of data science, data mining, machine learning and neural artificis, and data analytics applications.
- Taught by a highly-regarded and long-established computer science department.
- Sixty percent of our research impact in Computer Science and Informatics at the University of Hertfordshire has been rated at world-leading or internationally excellent in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
What will I study?
Classes consist of lectures, small group seminars, and practical work in our well-equipped laboratories. We use modern, industry-standard software wherever possible. There are specialist facilities for networking and multimedia and a project laboratory especially for masters students. In addition to scheduled classes, you will be expected a significant amount of time in self-study, taking advantage of the extensive and up-to-date facilities. These include the Learning Resource Centres, open 24x7, with 1,500 computer workstations and wifi access, Studynet our versatile online study environment usable on and off campus, and open access to our labs.
This new version of the programme has been carefully designed to achieve appropriate levels of accreditation, and BCS accreditation will be sought after the award title has its first group of graduates in 2020.
What job can I get?
Our master's programme is designed to give Computer Science graduates the specialist, up-to-date skills and knowledge sought after by employers, whether in business, industry, government or research.
The MSc Data Science and Analytics course will equip students with the knowledge and practical skills in data science and analytics from the foundations of data science in mathematics and programming, data mining, machine learning, to data analytics applications.
Successful graduates may pursue a career as a data scientist or data engineer, data analytics consultant, digital marketing manager across a wide range of sectors.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.