MSc Artificial Intelligence and Robotics with Placement Year
Why choose Herts?
- Industry Accreditation: Accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS) enabling graduates to register at The Chartered Institute for IT as a Chartered IT Professional.
- Teaching Excellence: Our academics research in Computer Science and Informatics has been rated world-leading or internationally excellent in the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
- Work Placement Opportunities: You have a one-year industry placement option enabling you to gain real-world industrial experience. Students on this course have had placements with Microsoft, Hewlett Packard, and Ocado.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
The former version of this programme was accredited by BCS under the award title MSc Artificial Intelligence with Robotics as below.
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of fully meeting the further learning academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional.
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
This new version of the programme has been carefully designed to achieve appropriate levels of accreditation, and the department is currently in touch with the BCS regarding continued accreditation.
About the course
The School has a strong international reputation for research in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics and this expertise influences this course which explores current research and practice in artificial intelligence and robotics. This MSc can lead to a career such as a designer of intelligent systems or in research.
This course is part of our Master's programme in Computer Science.
Why choose this course?
- Through your placement year you will gain industrial experience and be able to practice applying the skills you have learned throughout your studies.
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate Master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism in Artificial Intelligence and Robotics.
- Advanced topics studied include artificial life with robotics, neural computation and machine learning, theory and practice of artificial intelligence.
- Taught by a highly-regarded and long-established computer science department.
- Sixty percent of our research impact in Computer Science and Informatics at the University of Hertfordshire has been rated at world-leading or internationally excellent in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
What will I study?
Classes consist of lectures, small group seminars, and practical work in our well-equipped laboratories. We use modern, industry-standard software wherever possible. There are specialist facilities for networking and multimedia and a project laboratory, especially for masters students. In addition to scheduled classes, you will be expected to conduct a significant amount of time in self-study, taking advantage of the extensive and up-to-date facilities. These include the Learning Resource Centres, open 24x7, with 1,500 computer workstations and wifi access, Studynet our versatile online study environment usable on and off campus, and open access to our labs.
|Artificial Life with Robotics||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Neural Networks and Machine Learning||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Theory and Practice of Artificial Intelligence||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Professional Work Placement for MSc Computer Science||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|Team Research and Development Project||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Legal and Ethical Practice Exercise||15 Credits||Compulsory|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc (SW) Artificial Intelligence and Robotics||Download|
|MSc Computer Science (Modular)||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.