Why choose Herts?
- Research pathway available.
- Industry accreditations: Accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS) and the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council, which enables you to prepare for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
- Employment prospects: Our graduates work as software engineers, developers, and project managers for organisations including IBM and Microsoft.
About the course
One of a range of degrees from the taught masters programme at the Department of Computer Science.
This award is targeted at those who have a good honours degree in computer science or a very closely related discipline, and who wish to extend and deepen their knowledge in two or more different sub-discipline areas. It will enhance your career prospects or prepare you for a programme of research that requires knowledge of one or more of these sub-discipline areas. Those studying for this award will have a wide range of taught modules from which to choose, and will be expected to complete a major project that extends and applies what they have learnt in one or more of the taught modules they have taken.
Graduates obtaining this award will be equipped to pursue research to PhD level or to enter specialist employment in technically advanced and unpredictable working environments requiring sound judgment and the exercise of personal responsibility and initiative.
Why choose this course?
- This MSc offers the opportunity for students to study advanced research topics in computer science, normally across multiple specialisms, and comprehensive research methods, and to undertake an extended masters project on a cutting-edge research topic.
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate masters programme in computer science, this particular course provides you with a specialism combining theoretical knowledge and practical skills in advanced computer science.
- This MSc develops students on the skills in using and critically evaluating a range of methods and tools currently employed in at least two specialist topics of computer science to advanced depth.
- Taught by a highly-regarded and long-established computer science department with strong links to business.
- Computer science saw 90% of its research ranked as world-leading (Research Excellence Framework, 2021).
What will I study?
Classes consist of lectures, small group seminars, and practical work in our well-equipped laboratories. We use modern, industry-standard software wherever possible. There are specialist facilities for networking and multimedia and a project laboratory especially for masters students. In addition to scheduled classes, you will be expected a significant amount of time in self-study, taking advantage of the extensive and up-to-date facilities. These include the Learning Resource Centres, open 24/7, with 1,500 computer workstations and wifi access, StudyNet our versatile online study environment usable on and off campus, and open access to our labs.
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Advanced Computer Science with Research||Download|
|MSc Computer Science (Modular) with Advanced Research||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.