Geography, environment and planning
Broaden your understanding of our world from a social, economic, political and environmental perspective. Studying one of our subjects in Geography, Environment and Planning will give you an in-depth appreciation of our rapidly-changing world, enabling you to answer the who, what, where and why of today's pressing societal and environmental questions.
Not only will this equip you with the knowledge and skills to assess the impact of the past on our present society and environment, but it will better prepare you to understand and address pivotal future societal and environmental challenges.
We are part of the of School of Life and Medical Sciences and are attached to the department of Psychology Sport and Geography.
What the department offers
We offer numerous opportunities to engage with extra-curricular activities centred around staff research interests, including helping out at our fantastic Bayfordbury field station or helping staff with fieldwork in locations such as Iceland, Switzerland or the High Arctic, as part of your final year dissertation!
We enjoy extremely close links with local and national employers and environmental groups. We offer many opportunities to apply your knowledge to help them address real world environmental and geographical issues, and gain valuable work experience in the process!
- Study urban and rural geographies from our peri-urban perspective
- Take part in staff research & help solve real world problems
- Gain a degree accredited by the Royal Geographical Society
- Pay no extra fees for our year one and two residential field trips
- Assist staff with amazing UK and overseas field research
- Get hands on with bat surveys, beekeeping, conservation and more
- Explore a wide range of habitats at our 100-acre field station
Before progressing to your Final Year you have the opportunity to take a work placement year or to study abroad. These experiences are optional but can benefit you in terms of improving your approach to study, your class of degree and your future employability.
This course offers fantastic opportunities for field work which gives students the chance to study human, environmental and physical interactions in both UK and International settings.
Use the drop down lists below to go to a specific course page for in depth information on each course.
Our facilities include extensive computing and informatics resources and are complemented by several well-equipped specialist laboratories, staffed by experts. Read more about our facilities.
- Undergraduate courses
- Environmental Management (MSc, PgD, PgC, AIEMA)
- Environmental Management for Agriculture (MSc)
- Sustainable Planning (MSc)
- Sustainable Planning and Environmental Management (MSc)
- Sustainable Planning and Transport (MSc)
- Transport Planning (PgD)
- Transport Planning (PgC)
- Transport Planning (MSc)
- Transport Planning with Advanced Research (MSc)
- Water and Environmental Management (MSc, PgD, PgC, AIEMA)
Enquiries regarding Short Courses my be made to John Conlon 01707 285201