Postgraduate application support
To help ensure your application really displays your abilities, we’ve created this quick guide to help you through the application process.
Check entry requirements
Please make sure you check the entry requirements section of the course page before starting your application to ensure you meet the application criteria, as applications that do not meet these requirements will be rejected.
Ensure you submit a complete application
This will enable us to give you a decision promptly, as applying without all the required documents will delay our ability to give you a response.
Gather all the relevant information before you start your application
Make sure you’ve got all the information listed below to hand before you start your application to enable you to complete the process quickly.
Academic Transcripts and Certificates (where applicable)
Some of our postgraduate courses require specific qualifications, so we will need you to submit proof of them so we can make you an offer. You can either take a clear image on your mobile phone or scan them in with your application. If you have no formal qualifications, you can also state this in your application.
We will need a copy of both the front and back of these documents.
The following courses consider non-academic experience:
- Business School MSc programmes
- MSc Outdoor Environmental Education
- Creative Arts MSc programmes
- Mental Health Recovery and Social Inclusion.
Once you have submitted your application, any additional files/evidence should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org stating your name and application umber in the subject line.
We need a reference to help process your application, so when supplying a name please check they are happy to be a referee. Remember to:
- Use their official institutional or employment email, as these are easier for admissions teams to verify once they make you an offer
- Check that contact details are up-to-date and correct, as the inclusion of wrong details can delay the application process
- Make it as easy as possible for your nominated referees by giving them a bit of direction and explaining to them what course you’re applying for and why you’re interested in it.
The following courses require two references:
- Creative Arts programmes
- MSc Pharmacovigilance.
One of the most vital parts of your application is your postgraduate personal statement. We use your personal statement to understand your motivations for studying the course and will help us determine your suitability. This is a mandatory requirement, and you can upload it into your application. You may want to include your reasons for applying for the course, your experience in the field, how you feel you would benefit from studying and relevant information about your previous studies. You could also tell us about your non-academic experiences such as hobbies, interests, participation in any clubs, societies or voluntary work.
When considering what to include, think about the following:
- Your reason for applying for the course
- Your reason for applying to the University of Hertfordshire
- Your career aspirations and how the course fits in with this.
Your work experience (optional)
You can upload a CV into your application or provide the company names and addresses of up to three of your employers.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check (certain courses only)
We will need a Disclosure and Barring Service Check for certain courses listed below:
- MSc Nursing (Adult)
- MSc Nursing (Learning Disabilities)
- MSc Nursing (Mental Health)
- MSc Social Work
- MSc Advancing Clinical Pharmacy Practice
- MSc Physician Associate Studies
- MA Art Therapy.
Some of our courses have additional requirements, please ensure you check the entry requirements section of the course page to ensure you submit any additional documentation to help us process your application.
Help us make the process for you as quick and easy as possible…
As mentioned, supplying all your required documentation at the point of application, and quick responses from your references will speed up your application process and let us help give you a quick decision on your application and registration at Herts.
How to apply
Depending on if you are a home or international student or studying postgraduate taught research or CPD course the application process varies slightly with advice in the link below.