If you are a parent studying or working at the University of Hertfordshire, we can offer you on-campus childcare facilities at The University Day Nursery, giving you peace of mind so you can concentrate on your studies or work.
We accept children aged between 3 months and 5 years and cater for parents who are University of Hertfordshire students and employees, as well as external applicants.
- an all-round experience for your child – we keep children stimulated in a fun, active environment where every day is an adventure.
- a warm, caring haven – we give special attention to the needs of each child.
- qualified, enthusiastic and helpful staff who are dedicated to providing the highest standards of care and education.
- a flexible approach to learning and development.
The day nursery is registered as GOOD with Ofsted. Read our latest Ofsted Report published 9 March 2017. Registration No: EY378136.
'From a young age children display a strong sense of belonging and are confident and self-assured in the Nursery environment. Effective settling-in arrangements help children to quickly settle and feel secure in their surroundings'. (Ofsted)
The Nursery team
Karen Conroy is the manager of The University Day Nursery and has a Deputy who helps her, plus a Nursery Administrator who deals with admin, phone calls and queries regarding payments, invoices etc.
We have a team of 19 nursery staff in addition to the management team.
- 3 nursery staff have childcare qualifications at Level 5
- 13 nursery staff hold the relevant Level 3 childcare qualification
- 3 nursery staff hold the relevant Level 2 childcare qualification and are currently working towards their Level 3 qualification
- Several members of the team are also working towards University degrees and other higher qualifications
'The activities are planned to take account of children's interests and their capabilities, with staff who are clear what children should learn from these experiences. This means children are motivated and engaged in their play and are becoming active learners'. (Ofsted)
Every 3 years all staff are trained in first aid and child protection. The safety of the children is our priority, and all staff have undergone an enhanced CRB check.
'Children's safety is given high priority with staff who closely supervise children and are vigilant and responsive at all times. The premises are safe and secure and the maintenance of the facilities and the management of safety systems are good.' (Ofsted)
Apply for a nursery place
Children are admitted on a first-come-first-served basis, depending on the following factors:
- sessions required and availability
- your child's age
- distribution of places between students and staff
No one is guaranteed a place until an acceptance/indemnity form has been signed and returned along with the £50 registration fee.
Download our Nursery Application Form to register your interest and we will invite you to start as soon as we can accommodate your requirements within our availability.
Nursery opening hours
Find out more about fees and financial assistance in paying for your childcare.