Independent (Estranged) students
Independent (Estranged) students are people between the ages of 18-24 studying without the support of their parents (biological, step or adoptive parents), due to a breakdown in those relationships. This is likely to be permanent.
Estranged student status is confirmed through Student Finance England (or relevant awarding body) via the University's Student Finance team. Visit the Stand Alone website to find out how estranged student status is assessed by Student Finance England.
Some students might live independently, with friends, or with another family member (kinship care) when applying for university, or they may be homeless. Other terms linked to estrangement are self-reliant, foyer, sofa-surfing and independent.
We understand that there can be particular challenges for Independent (Estranged) students and want to provide support in making your time at university as stress-free and successful as possible.
What can we offer you?
The Student Success team are dedicated to supporting you to be successful in your journey at Herts at beyond.
If you are a confirmed Independent (Estranged) student (18-24 and ‘Home’ fee status) studying an undergraduate degree, you’ll have access to:
We recognise that our support needs to be tailored to your needs and circumstances. We can offer you:
- A dedicated member of staff within the Student Success team who you can email or phone for guidance and support.
- Regular information and resources on topics including wellbeing, accommodation, and finding employment
- A tailored newsletter with opportunities, events and support available to you as a Student Success student.
- Access to 1-1 coaching to support you with motivation and confidence for your studies
We will support you with additional costs so that you can focus on your studies.
- A bursary worth £1800 per year for your three years of undergraduate study. Click here to see the Terms and Conditions
- Expert advice from our Student Funding and Financial Support Team on managing your finances. They will also work with you to complete the Student Finance England forms confirming your estranged (independent) status
- First year undergraduate students (Level 4), may be eligible for the University of Hertfordshire bursary.
- Access to the University’s financial support fund for students experiencing financial difficulty.
- Short-term financial support for living and study costs (for example food vouchers, travel or equipment related to your course)
- Access to year round student accommodation including outside of term times if required.
You’ll have exclusive access to opportunities to develop your skills and Graduate Attributes.
- Help with preparing for employment in the career of your choice by working closely with our expert colleagues in the Careers and Employment Service here at the University.
- Part-time work such as our Student Ambassador and BAME Advocate roles.
- Support in applying for your Go Herts Award, an award which will increase your confidence in talking about your skills gained from activity outside of your degree.
- Priority access to workshops and resources provided by the Student Success team
Our commitment to support estranged students
Stand Alone is a charity that supports students studying without the support or approval of a family network. We are proud to have taken the Stand Alone pledge which makes public our commitment to supporting estranged (independent) students to access and be successful in Higher Education.
Contact the Student Success team
If you'd like more information or to have a chat about how we can support you please email our dedicated inbox firstname.lastname@example.org.