Black History Month 2022
The University of Hertfordshire proudly celebrated Black History Month in October 2022, themed 'Time for Change: Action Not Words'.
Black History Month is a time for us all to pause, reflect, learn, and to broaden our understanding and challenge our knowledge and beliefs around black history and culture. It also provides us with an opportunity to celebrate the diverse community here at Herts.
Contact the EDI Office if you'd like to get involved in Black History Month 2023.
What was on?
We kicked off Black History Month with keynote speaker Felicia Odamtten, an Economist and Founder of The Black Economists Network (T-BEN), an organisation with a global footprint that seeks to support Black Economists and challenge the lack of diversity in economics and related fields. Professor Damian Ward, Dean of Hertfordshire Business School introduced Felicia who discussed the challenges that Black Economists face and how to overcome them.
We also offered a full programme of events throughout the month.
Explore Black History Month
As part of our ongoing commitment to helping staff and students broaden their understanding and knowledge of black history, we have collated a range of resources to support formal and personal study.
Tackling Racism in Higher Education
- Racial equality in higher education: Is it really one step forward?
- Inclusive teaching is harder then it looks – but there is a way
- Tension (Ricardo Barker), a short film centring around institutional racism, unconscious bias and the impact this can have on retention and attainment for BAME students
- Dismantling Hegemonies and Anti-Blackness in Higher Education symposium (Recording: Brunel University London)
- Turning Words into Action: Eliminating racism and racial inequality in higher education (Recording: Universities UK)
- Black Lives Matter: Taking action to tackle racism across HE, with Amatey Doku (Recording: Wonkhe)
- Allyship & Understanding Privilege
- The University of Hertfordshire Decolonising and Diversifying Studynet book list contains a wealth of great reads like Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge
- Hidden Histories Black in Psychology - excellent booklet celebrating the contributions of Black scholars and Black practitioners to psychology
- About Black History Month, 2022
- Racial harassment in higher education (Equality and Human Rights Commission)
- Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Student Attainment at UK Universities: #CLOSINGTHEGAP (Universities UK and National Union of Students)
- The white elephant in the room: ideas for reducing racial inequalities in higher education (Higher Education Policy Institute)
- Ethnicity and the Postgraduate Student Experience (Advance HE)
- UK charities