For students of all faiths
When all the studying and partying gets a bit much, you might find yourself stopping to think:
- What's it all about?
- Who am I?
- Why am I here?
If you find yourself pondering the big questions, don't worry – you're not alone. The University of Hertfordshire Chaplaincy team can help you find the answers.
Friendly, warm and welcoming to students of all faiths, we're here to help.
How we can help
At the University Chaplaincy we:
- help you explore religion and spirituality – students are always grappling with the big questions (life, the universe and everything!).
- lend an ear when you want to chat – we listen to everyday questions too.
- help you explore a wide variety of spiritual traditions.
- offer advice on where to pray and worship.
- arrange Chaplaincy services and other events.
Friendly and welcoming at The Key
The Key is a peaceful, welcoming haven for all University of Hertfordshire students and staff looking to take time out for the spiritual side of life. It's also where you'll find the University Chaplain's office.
There are currently 3 main rooms:
- The Robert Runcie Rotunda – a large, circular room used for reflection, prayer and worship.
- The Meeting Room – where you can join a range of study or discussion groups, browse the selection of spiritual books, videos and newspapers, sit and chat – or just relax.
- The Olive Hall - split into 3 zones, one of which provides a Muslim prayer space, and for large events (such as Jum'ah prayer) it can be opened out into a single space. Next to the Olive Hall there are dedicated washing facilities.
We have recently built a new extension to The Key. This enhances our multi-faith provision, improving our Muslim prayer facilities and allowing for other activities.
Come and join us
The Key and the Chaplaincy team are here to encourage spiritual exchange in the University. We welcome students and staff from all religions. We aim to promote the understanding of spirituality, morality and ethics, throughout the University and local community.
Come and join us soon at one of our events.
For information on upcoming events, please contact the Chaplain.
Book a room
You can book rooms for events and meetings which are in keeping with the aims and purpose of the centre. Student faith societies need to make booking requests through the Societies Office of the Hertfordshire Students' Union, and other groups should contact the Chaplain directly.
Where to find us
The Key is located on the College Lane Campus. It's on the hill just above the Forum. Take the path up towards the halls of residence and we are by the top of the concrete staircase.
To find out more, please contact:
Revd. Allan Smith
The University Chaplain
tel +44 (0) 1707 284456