How we advance equality of opportunity
The University advances equality through:
- ensuring our policies, services and practices reflect our commitment to equality
- mainstreaming equality into the business planning process so that Strategic Business Units (SBUs) achieve equality goals that are relevant to them, and are aligned to our strategic equality objectives
- providing development opportunities for governors, staff and students to understand their rights and responsibilities
- dealing with any complaints fairly and promptly.
National and local partners
We work closely with national and local partners to promote and advance equality, including:
- The Equality Challenge Unit (ECU) - promoting equality and diversity in higher education
- Hertfordshire Colleges Carer Champions Group - learning providers in Hertfordshire ensuring learning opportunities support the needs and ambitions of carers
- Hertfordshire LGBT Partnership - public authorities working together to understand and meet the needs of LGBT people in Hertfordshire
- Herts Diversity Network - Practitioners' network promoting best in equality and diversity in Herts public services
- Higher Education Equal Opportunities Network (HEEON) - Practitioners' network promoting best in equality and diversity in higher education
We seek to involve students, staff, community groups and other stakeholders - and welcome your comments and suggestions. Email the Equality Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @uhequality to make any comments or to be involved in promoting equality.
Our response to the Commission of Race and Ethnic Disparities Report
Following the recent publication of the Commission on Race and Ethnic Disparities Report from the Government, we know the findings may have caused concern amongst our community. In partnership with Hertfordshire Students’ Union, we want to reassure you all about the steps we are taking to advance race equality at the University of Hertfordshire.