History of the University of Hertfordshire
The University of Hertfordshire’s history goes back to 1952 when Hatfield Technical College was built by Hertfordshire County Council on ninety acres of land personally donated by Alan S. Butler, Chairman of the de Havilland Aircraft Company, on condition it be used for further educational purposes.
Here are some of the milestones and achievements in over half a century of innovative higher education in Hertfordshire.
Professor Quintin McKellar is appointed VC. The new Law Court building opens with a state-of-the-art replica Crown Court...Read more about 2011 - present
Awarded Times Higher Education Entrepreneurial University of the Year in 2010. de Haviland Campus and The Forum open...Read more about 2001 - 2010
The new Learning Resource Centre opens, followed by a regional art gallery...Read more about 1991 - 2000
Professor Neil Buxton becomes the new Director of Hatfield Polytechnic...Read more about 1981 - 1990
Wall Hall and Balls Park Teacher Training Colleges merge to form Hertfordshire College of Higher Education...Read more about 1961 - 1980