About the School of Computer Science
The School of Computer Science is one of the largest departments in the country - and one of the most established. In fact, the 2015/16 academic year was the 50th anniversary of offering the BSc (Hons) Computer Science undergraduate degree.
We have educated thousands of students since the 1960s, laying the foundations for them to go on learning new skills throughout their careers.
We also use our accumulated knowledge and technology resources in internationally-recognised research and to meet the varied consultancy needs of our industry partners.
The School of Computer Science:
- offers a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and online courses, which blend academic excellence with vocational relevance.
- has thousands of alumni who work in rewarding and demanding jobs in IT and related areas, often in senior positions.
We offer a wide variety of courses which will lead to either a broad-based or more specialist qualification.
Our core areas include:
- software development
- artificial intelligence and robotics
- networking and security
- software engineering
- applications of computing in business and other organisations
- IT strategy and management
Most courses are full-time and campus-based but we also offer flexible study routes.
Find out more about our variety of courses:
- Undergraduate courses - study a wide choice of degree titles and modules with the opportunity for specialism, and an optional paid placement year.
- Postgraduate courses - take advantage of a range of advanced, specialist degree titles for computer science graduates and routes into Computer Science for graduates in other disciplines.
- Online courses - study in your own time at home, at work, or, in some locations with our local partners following a blended learning approach.
Our academic staff are highly qualified (most have a PhD or other advanced degree) and bring the benefit of research or first-hand professional experience to their teaching.
One of our major goals is to prepare you for professional employment through:
- our links with business.
- the use of special teaching material.
- our placements programme with students working for major employers such as Accenture, Apple, Microsoft and GlaxoSmithKline.
- optional industrial certification with Cisco CCNA and Oracle OCA.
21st century resources
As a student you have access to a number of computing laboratories on the College Lane campus equipped with modern hardware and software including specialist facilities for networking, multimedia and robotics.
The School of Computer Science is involved in various commercial activities, including several active Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs).
We can offer consultancy in several specialist areas and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) based on our online material which is suitable for work-based learning.
We have an excellent track record in research, with half of our outputs rated at world-leading or internationally excellent in REF 2014 - the most recent national assessment.
Read more about our research activities or how to apply for our PhD programme.
The School is a diverse community with international connections.
We have welcomed students from many different countries, cultures and backgrounds, including mature students and those with disabilities.
Our partner colleges and universities offer local study support for our online degrees.