Care leavers

The University of Hertfordshire is committed to increasing the number of care leavers accessing higher education. We understand that the application process and settling in at university can be particularly stressful for care leavers.

If you are in local authority care, or have recently left care and are wondering what your next step should be, we have a range of support on offer.

Support for care leavers


The University of Hertfordshire is able to provide accommodation all year (including outside of term times) to care leavers, if required.

Support network

Option to join a network of other care leavers within the University.

Financial support

The University of Hertfordshire offers additional financial support to students who are leaving local authority care. You will also have the opportunity to apply for work as a Student Ambassador.

Please email Anthonia Offiah for more details.

Please contact Naomi Austin if you are interested in working as a Student Ambassador.

Support worker

A named contact to support care leavers, both with the application and admissions process and once you are a student at the University of Hertfordshire.