Disability Advisers

Our team of Disability Advisers at the University of Hertfordshire work with our disabled students to arrange support for all aspects of their studies.

If you have a disability please contact a Disability Adviser by email or call us on +44 (0)1707 284453, either before you join the University or when you register.

Assisting our disabled students

Our Disability Advisers can:

  • Meet you and complete a Study Needs Agreement together to figure out how we can best support you during activities like enrolment, lectures, seminars, placements, field trips, exams and assessments.
  • Decide together how information about your disability is shared with other members of staff and exactly what they are told. If you don’t give permission for information to be shared, your lecturers and other staff will not be told about your disability.
  • Refer you for support using our range of specialist in-house and contracted services like Specialist Study Skills sessions, mentors, support workers, access to specialist technology and Personal Emergency Evacuation Plans.
  • Advise you how to apply for appropriate financial support such as the Disabled  Students' Allowance or the University of Hertfordshire Disability Fund.

Your first appointment

You and your Disability Adviser will simply chat about your disability and how it might impact on your studies.

They will normally ask to see some evidence of your disability, such as a diagnostic report from an assessment or a medical note from your doctor/consultant.

If you already have this evidence please bring it with you to your first appointment or you can send it to us in advance. If you don't have any evidence your Disability Adviser will explain how you can get this.

Deciding whether to share information about your disability

During your meeting you can decide who you are happy to share information with and what you want them to know.

There are different levels of disclosure for you to choose from, for example some students want their lecturers to know about the nature of their disability as well as the adjustments they need.

Others choose just to share information about required adjustments (eg their need to record lectures rather than take notes) and not about the nature of their disability.

Your Disability Adviser will agree what level of disclosure you are happiest with and then record this in your Study Needs Agreement.

Please note that information about your disability and the support/adjustments you receive will be available to all permanent members of staff in the Disability Services department. This is to ensure we are all able to support you should you need it.

When are Disability Advisors available?

You can arrange to see a Disability Adviser at any stage during your studies if you think you might need our input for a reason related to your disability.

If you never need our input you never need to contact us, although if you disclose your disability we will send you an email every now and then just to remind you we are here if you need us.

Contact us whenever you need

Once you have been allocated to a Disability Adviser they become your contact within the service and you can see them as often as you need. You can make an appointment directly with them or through our main contact information.

To help ensure you are able to get support and advice when you need it, we have a team of Disability Advisers so if your main contact is on leave or unavailable, any of the Advisers can support you.

If all is going well with your studies you might only ever need to see your Disability Adviser the once. We will however touch base with you every now and then just to make sure that everything is running smoothly.

Every University of Hertfordshire student can access the Advice and Guidance of Disability Services. If you do not qualify for support through the Service we will aim to put you in touch with another service within the University.

Get in touch

Contact us for more information on how you can receive support from a Disability Adviser in person, or via the telephone, email or Skype if you study long-distance or are unable to get into the University.