Teaching in Cyber Security
Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching
The teaching in Cyber Security offered by the School of Computer Science consists of:
- MSc in Cyber Security. This course is planned and will be submitted for validation, intending delivery from September 2017.
- Modules in Cyber Security at the undergraduate level: Information Security Management (Level 6), Cyber Security (Level 6), Computer Systems Security (Level 6). In addition, the modules Human Dimension in Computing (Level 4), and Contemporary Issues (Level 5) also contain material on cyber security.
- Modules at the postgraduate level (MSc, Level 7): Distributed System Security, Secure Systems Programming. In addition, the module Wireless Mobile and Ad-hoc Networking contains material on cyber security.
- Project supervision for BSc and MSc projects in cyber security and digital forensics.
- Degree Apprenticeship in Digital and Technology Solutions (Cyber Security Analyst). This undergraduate degree course is taken in conjunction with an apprenticeship at a participating company. The course is being delivered from February 2017.
The School of Computer Science has excellent facilities for teaching and training in Cyber Security.
Here is a list of recent MSc dissertations in the area of Cyber Security that have been supervised in the School of Computer Science:
- Statistical Malware Analysis: An investigation into static analysis of portable executables
- Analysis of penetration testing frameworks for wireless and mobile technologies
- Improving intrusion detection systems using data reduction techniques and neural network algorithms
- Evaluation of host-based intrusion detection systems in critical infrastructure environments through penetration testing
- An investigation of the behaviour of king of Malwares
- An evaluation of different open source network intrusion detection systems
- Ethical hacking for teaching cyber security
- Comparative analysis of performance characteristics between RSA and AES algorithms using text files
- Intrusion detection and prevention mechanism against blackhole attack for AODV routing protocol
- Reverse engineering of mobile malware for intrusion detection and prevention
- Performance analysis of intrusion detection systems: Snort and Bro
- Securing web services-based e-businesses
- Time series based network intrusion detection
- intrusion detection framework for cyber-crimes using Bayesian networks
- Analysis of Stuxnet
- A wavelet based model for detection of anomalous network traffic
- Analysing wireless network security
- An investigation of network intrusion detection systems
- Intrusion detection using K-Medoids
- Anomaly based network intrusion detection using logistic regression
- Face detection using a global approach
- Using Naïve Bayes technique to develop intrusion detection model for identifying network and/or web anomalies
- Designing network-based intrusion detection system model through anomaly detection approach using Chi Square statistic
- Fuzzy associative rule mining intrusion detection model
- Intrusion detection in wired networks
- Intrusion detection system for wireless adhoc network using time series techniques