MSc Finance and Investment Banking with Placement Year
Why choose Herts?
- Work placement opportunities: You have an opportunity to do a year-long finance and investment placement. Previous students have had placements with Canada life, PRGX, and Mayfair Equity Advisory Ltd.
- Industry connections: Benefit from our strong connections with employers such as Canada Life, and Santander with many companies attending our careers fairs.
- Employment prospects: Graduates work as financial analysts, senior investment managers, bond analysts, and portfolio managers for organisations including HSBC, Standard Chartered, Nomura, and Gallagher & Mohan.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
About the course
The course offers a coherent and intellectual learning experience, providing you with a critical understanding of the subject and enabling you to employ the tools of analysis used by a wide range of finance and investment banking professionals.
You can now combine this specialist Master's with a year long placement. The work placement opportunity gives you a practical perspective to your academic studies and enables you to increase greatly your skill set for a wide range of finance and investment banking careers. The programme also echoes the esteemed Chartered Financial Analyst Institute (CFA®) level 1 and 2 examinations.
Specific careers that may be appropriate include a range of investment banking roles (e.g. financial analyst, investment manager, securities’ analyst and portfolio manager) as well as roles within financial departments of corporations/organisations (e.g. treasury, financial control, risk analysis etc.). Furthermore, the programme offers a sound platform and preparation for doctoral research in the areas of finance, accounting and economics.
Why choose this course?
- Provide students with an intellectually challenging programme of study leading to an awareness of issues, themes and applications within the field of finance and investment banking and associated subject fields
- Provide students with an opportunity to undertake an one-year work placement of full time work experience
- Provide students with the knowledge and practical skills to identify suitable tools for the investigation of issues in areas such as investment analysis, fund/asset management, economics analysis and financial reporting;
- Provide students with the necessary IT analytical skills which reinforce the theoretical and empirical underpinning of the programme. The students will learn quantitative methodology, to carry out quantitative analyses of relevant financial and economic problems
Trademark Disclaimer: CFA Institute does not endorse, promote or warrant the accuracy or quality of the products or services offered by The University of Hertfordshire. CFA® and Chartered Financial Analyst® are registered trademarks owned by CFA Institute.
What will I study?
We offer a varied programme of teaching and learning that includes small group seminars, statistical software packages, lectures and access to specialist web-based resources. The teaching material of programme is based on the Chartered Financial Analyst Institute (CFA®) curriculum level 1 and 2.
You will be assessed through a variety of coursework and exams including written reports of various lengths, presentations, and practical assignments. You will also be able to complete a research dissertation, in conjunction with your supervisor, for the research component of your programme.
|Financial Statement Analysis 1||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Financial Statement Analysis 2||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Quantitative Analysis||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Financial Data Analysis||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Asset Valuation||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Preparation for the Workplace||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|Work Placement Portfolio||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|Financial Markets and Institutions||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Economics, Finance and Banking||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Professional Work Placement||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|Research Methods: MSc Finance and Investment Banking||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Dissertation: MSc Finance and Investment Banking||45 Credits||Compulsory|
Dr George Katechos
Senior Lecturer, Finance
Find out more about Dr George Katechos
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc (SW) Finance and Investment Banking||Download|
|MSc Finance and Investment Banking||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.