Teacher and Adviser Conference 2022
Booking is now open for our Teacher and Advisor Conference. The Education Liaison Team look forward to welcoming you to our lovely de Havilland campus.
Date: Friday 17 June 2022
Time: 09:00 – 14:30
Admission: Free (refreshments and lunch included)
Location: University of Hertfordshire, de Havilland Campus, Hatfield, AL10 9EU
We have an engaging and diverse programme with two keynote speakers and a variety of optional sessions to choose from. Speakers include UCAS, the Student Loans Company, an expert in mental health and much more.
The conference is aimed at teachers, careers advisers and anyone supporting and working with students in post -16 education. A complementary lunch will be provided as well as opportunities to network with University staff, students and delegates.
09:00 - 09:30 Arrival and refreshments
09:30 - 10:00 Conference Welcome - Jo Stuart, Executive Director - Business, International, Marketing and Recruitment, University of Hertfordshire.
10.00 - 10.50 Keynote one: UCAS - Fran Taylor, Customer Success Director - Join UCAS for updates on the latest developments and trends across the sector, looking ahead to confirmation and clearing and changes in the policy landscape.
10.50 - 11.10 Refreshment break
11.10 - 12.00 Session 1
Choose one of the following:
- Supporting students with careers and employability – Our Careers and Employability Team. Discover all the ways our students are supported to succeed in their future careers.
- Student finance updates – Student Loans Company, Ahmar Ehsan. Hear about the latest updates on student finance as well the additional financial support available, followed by Q&A. A great session if you are new to advising students in this area or need a little refresher.
- Student Wellbeing and Support - At Hertfordshire we strive to ensure every student has a stress-free and rewarding time whilst studying with us. This session will focus on the wide-ranging support services available, as well as giving delegates an opportunity to ask the panel questions.
12.00 - 12.45 Lunch. Buffet lunch provided with opportunities to network with other delegates as well as chat with University staff and students.
12.45 - 13.35 Session 2
Choose one of the following:
- Faculty Highlight – Law. Take a tour of our full-scale courtroom with public gallery and get a taster of our ‘street law’ education project. The sessions are run by our students and can be delivered in schools and colleges. The aim is to improve access to justice, by demystifying areas of law that affect the wider community. You’ll also hear about all the amazing additional opportunities available to our Law students.
- Faculty Highlight - Institute of Sport. Visit our world class facilities for research, training, teaching and learning. You’ll also get to see them in action, as we’ll be running a little taster (with minimum exertion needed!). Plus, find out about the practical and placement experiences on offer.
- Portfolios and Interviews – Healthcare, Creative Arts and Education. Join academics from subject areas of the University that require an interview as part of the admissions process. The team will let you know what students can expect from subject specific interviews, give advice on creating a portfolio and ways that you, as practitioners, can best support them. There will be an opportunity for Q&A.
13.35 -14.30 Keynote two: Dr Dominique Thompson. Hear from award-winning GP, young people's mental health expert, TEDx speaker, author and educator, with two decades of clinical experience. 'What is on students’ minds in 2022, what is happening in young people’s mental health, and why there has been such a change in the last decade or so.' Discover what you can do to help, and how to best prepare your pupils for life after school, whilst building resourcefulness and supporting their emotional wellbeing.
14.30 Depart and optional campus tour