Face biometrics - A tool for identity authentication as well as an approach to privacy protection
Face biometrics has been used intensively as a tool to identify individuals. However, this has ignited concerns about the individual(s) identifiable in a recording.
The University of Hertfordshire team has carried out research work in:
- face recognition for security control (a three-year Knowledge Transfer Partnership project of £195k with IDscan Biometrics Ltd).
- face de-identification for privacy protection (as part of the European COST Action IC1206, where our unique system is able to reduce the re-identification risk of the de-identified faces to nearly zero).
Achievements so far
- Six peer-reviewed research papers published
- A patent application submitted and entered the second stage
- A KTP project sponsored by Innovative UK
- Management Committee Members of COST Action IC1206
- Committee Members of the JPEG IST/37 (where a new activity ‘Privacy and Security’ was launched in Sept 2015).