The University of Hertfordshire has a longstanding reputation teaching pharmacology and is located within 50 miles of most of the UK pharmaceutical industry. In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), 69% of Research in Pharmacy and Pharmacology was rated as world leading or internationally excellent.
The Pharmacology course is taught as one pathway in the Biosciences Programme. This starts off with a broad based first year and builds up to a final year that provides a detailed understanding of the actions of medicines on biological systems from mechanisms at a molecular level to effects on the whole body.
Our key strengths
- Teaching staff with academic, industry and research expertise provide course material which combines real world relevance and latest research ideas.
- Excellent facilities including a new Science Teaching and Research block that opened in autumn 2016.
- Accreditation from the Society of Biology for our 4-year placement pathway
- Flexibility within the Biosciences programme is ideal for students who are not completely sure of their final degree choice within Biosciences
- The opportunity to do a one year placement in industry
- A final year laboratory based project teaches not only practical skills but also general project planning skills
- Location at the heart of the UK Pharmaceutical industry helps to ensure excellent employability, 100% of pharmacology graduates are employed or engaged in further study within 6 months of leaving (HESA 2015-16 stats)
First class facilities
The new science building will provide state-of-the-art teaching laboratories for Biosciences including a dedicated pharmacology teaching laboratory. Research laboratories will provide facilities for our research work in a range of areas including: Cardiovascular disease, Diabetes, Parkinson's Disease, and Stem cells.
Our graduates progress to a wide range of careers including:
- Roles in the Pharmaceutical industry including laboratory-based work, clinical trials organisation, medical writing, drug safety monitoring
- Further study either as PhD student or on Masters courses
- A variety of jobs in the health arena and food industry that require students to have a broad understanding of the science of human health
- Teaching science
For students going on placement, this provides unrivalled work experience, helps many students make a final career choice and for some results in a job offer at the end of the placement year.
Our Pharmacology Staff
See a list of our Pharmacology staff