English Language Teaching
English Language Teaching at the University of Hertfordshire aims to answer some of these questions:
- What do people do in their second language that they don't do in their first?
- Why are some people better at learning a second language than others?
- Is a second language a 'tool', or an extension of identity?
We start with a reflection on the stages of learning a second language, looking at factors that influence success and account for failure.
We consider the role of teachers, and the 'specification' for a good teacher, drawing on students' own recent and current experience, progressing to theories on the best ways of learning and teaching, and English as an international language.
Explore undergraduate degrees compromising of English Language Teaching.
Our MA TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) combines the practical teaching of international students - from small groups to hour-long classes - with professionally focused modules in areas such as:
- designing syllabuses
- teaching an international language
- and developing blended learning tools (like wikis and podcasts)