Media and Creative Writing
This course will help you to develop professional writing skills to engaging your reader and write for a target audience.
Creative writers on this course will develop: research skills, editorial skills, storytelling, effective use of imagery, and skills in writing across a range of platforms including web, blogs and media, print, video, audio and multimedia.
Media combines well with creative writing because it fosters your ability to critically comment on media texts and develops your creativity in producing your own texts in creative writing.
Creative Writing, through working in a range of writing styles, hones your ability to use words, imagery and narrative, all of which translates well into working in media.
Media industries are flourishing with the rapid development of digital media and social media platforms. This programme encourages students to be entrepreneurial and professional in their approach to working in media-related industries. It will give you a theoretical understanding of media and the ability to critically comment on media practice.
Media and creative writing combines theoretical and practical skills to enhance your creativity and the technical skills needed to go into the creative media industries. By studying these subjects, students will become authors who can communicate through storytelling using a range of media forms.
Everyone will study Media Cultures and Journalism in their first year. You then have the option to choose one of the three optional subjects to study in your first year.
- Introduction to Media Communications
- Media and Society
New Media Publishing
- Graphics for the Web
- Web Animation
- The Writer's Art
- Becoming a Writer
- Introduction to Film Criticism
- Introduction to Film Theory
- Journalism Skills: Print News and Features
- Journalism Law and Ethics
English Language & Communication
- Talking to Others: Theory and Practice of Communication
- Language Analysis
Year 2 modules
- Research Methods
- Becoming a Publisher
- Design for Print
- Writing for Stage and Screen
- Genre Writing: Building Worlds
- The Poem
- Media in an International Context
- Digital Storytelling
Year 3 modules
- Dark Materials: Writing Young Adult Fiction
- Tell It Slant
- Digital Media
- Corporate Communications
- Independent Project
- Adaption: From Page to Stage or Screen
- Campaigns and Careers
Our Mass Communications Programme students have gone on to secure employment as:
- Senior Creative Designer (BWI Ltd)
- Content Marketing (Reprise Media)
- Senior Feature Writer (Take a Break)
- Publishing Project Editor (Learning Solutions - Pearson)
- Senior Digital Marketer & Web Developer (R3 Group)
- PR and Editorial Assistant (Cubiqdesign Ltd)
- Editor at UMEN Magazine (Jordan)
- Assistant Director of Learning and ICT & International Schools Coordinator (Longdean)
- Press and Policy Officer (Retail Motor Industry Federation)
- Senior multimedia reporter (Trinity Mirror Group PLC)
- Executive HR at (SEGi Malaysia)
- Marketing Executive (Eckoh plc)
- Content Analyst (UK Knowledgebase)
- Assistant Film Director (HK)
- Graphic Designer (Mostaix Malaysia)
- Journalist (Malay Mail Malaysia)
- Client Partner (Clearhead Media)
- Internal Communications Specialist (Abu Dhabi - General Secretariat of the Executive Council)
- Journalist (New Strait Times Malaysia)
- Copywriter (Win Technologies)
- Account Executive (Priority Communications Malaysia)
- Intern (Fashion and Celebrity Gossip – LiveLikeaVIP.com)
Information taken from our alumni from LinkedIn - June 2014.
Apply to study for a Media and Creative Writing BA (Hons).