Professional engineering qualifications

A professional engineering qualification can lead to you becoming either a Chartered Engineer (CEng) or an Incorporated Engineer (IEng).

Chartered Engineers are recognised worldwide for the engineering competence and leadership qualities. They are characterised by their ability to solve engineering problems using new or existing technologies, through innovation, creativity and managing change.

Being recognised as an Incorporated Engineer shows an employer that you are committed to developing and enhancing your competence and can work to professional standards.

Incorporated Engineers are valued for their ability to maintain and manage applications of current and developing technology either to support engineering design, development, manufacture or operation.

All established programmes taught by the School of Engineering and Technology are accredited by one or more of the professional engineering institutions of IET, IMechE and RAeS (we are currently seeking accreditation for new courses in the field of Mechatronics.)

Furthermore as a gift from the School you will receive student membership of IET for the duration of your studies at the University of Hertfordshire.

List of accredited programmes

Chartered Engineer

To become a chartered Engineer you will need to graduate with:

  • an accredited MSc degree, or
  • an accredited MEng degree, or
  • an accredited BEng or BSc honours degree plus an accredited Master's degree, or appropriate further learning to Master's level that is often studied as part of an accredited graduate apprenticeship.

The School's MSc/MEng/BEng and BSc programmes are all accredited to CEng and IEng level respectively, enabling their graduates to proceed with professional registration of their chosen professional institution.

You will also need to demonstrate your technical competence and leadership through work experience and become a member of an appropriate professional body like the IET, IMechE or RAeS.

Incorporated Engineer

The usual way to become an Incorporated Engineer is to take an accredited BSc Honours degree followed by a few years in industry to demonstrate your technical competence and ability to work to a professional standard.

You will also need to become a member of one of the professional bodies above. If you take a BEng degree but decide you do not want to go on to further study at a Master's level, you can still become an Incorporated Engineer.


Students who take the sandwich option, spending a year on industrial placement as part of their undergraduate studies can also register for either the ICTTech or EngTech award depending on which is appropriate for the nature of their placement experience.

Find out more on the Engineering Council website