Expertise in manufacturing, materials and biomedicalFollow @UHBusiness
Subject group leader: Dr Les Mitchell
Expertise in the Manufacturing, Materials and Biomedical Group include:
- biomedical devices.
- industrially sponsored materials research.
- Manufacturing and Quality Systems Reliability Engineering.
- microstructural and failure analysis.
- Materials processing and materials joining processes.
- materials recycling.
- natural fibre composites research.
- operations management.
- project management.
- Composites – Lay-up, cutting and curing (large autoclave with AIC controller)
- Materials analysis – DSC, DMA, Electron Probe analysis, E-Dax
- Materials testing – tension, compression, torsion, impact, fatigue
- Microscopy – Optical, Scanning Electron, Atomic force, Mounting and polishing
A local company, Bilt Hamber Laboratories, who develop and sell a number of corrosion protection products wanted some independent testing undertaken on various wax coatings.
The company supplied 6 different competitor wax coating products, including one of their own products to undergo an accelerated corrosion test (based on ASTM B117-03).
The material testing lab, which is equipped with a salt spray chamber, was used to undertake a full investigation of the performances of these products.
The results qualified and ranked the performance of the products.