FAQs for Engineering and Technology

Undergraduate questions

Q. What is the difference between BEng and BSc?

A. The BEng (and MEng) courses are more analytically demanding and are accredited at CEng level.

The BSc courses are suitable for those wishing to apply technology in their chosen field and are accredited at IEng level.

Q. Is my chosen programme accredited by a professional institution?

A. All our Undergraduate and taught Postgraduate programmes are accredited by one or more of the Professional Engineering Institutions of IET, or IMechE or RAeS. Additionally your placement year can be recognised and rewarded by an ICTTech or EngTech certification through IET.

Learn more about Professional engineering qualifications.

Q. Can I change my course?

A. Yes, subject to meeting certain academic requirements.

Q. What are my options if I don't get the entry grades I need?

A. If your grades were not as good as you had hoped, you can choose to study for an Extended degree in Engineering to help you progress into the first year of one our undergraduate Engineering degree courses.

Q. Can I continue to specialise in the School after my first degree?

A.  If you obtain a good honours degree then you can pursue one of our taught Master’s programmes or secure a research project leading to PhD. If you decide to continue your studies while in employment then we have a number of work-based awards that would allow you to specialise in your chosen area.

Learn more about postgraduate options.

Q. Can I gain access and use specialist facilities when I need them?

A. The school operates a very safe and secure environment while at the same time encouraging students to use its specialist facilities within a professional framework for access. You can seek permission to gain access to our specialists facilities through your supervisor.

Take a look at our specialist facilities.