English Language & Linguistics
Get to know your subject
Get a feel for life as an English Language & Linguistics student at the University of Hertfordshire, School of Humanities
- Listen or watch a presentation from your course leader
- Chat to our academics and students
- Explore our online resources
Taster Session: Spot the Pattern
John Sinclair once wrote “The language looks rather different when you look at a lot of it at once”. In this English Language and Linguistics taster session we explore what he meant by this. With the help of some hands-on activities we will look at a lot of language at once ourselves (don’t worry, it will still be manageable!) and think about the following questions:
- I show we think we use language the same as how we actually use it?
- What kinds of patterns can we find in language and how?
- Don’t we all have our own unique way with words?
- Why is language pattern spotting useful?
- Where do we go from here?
English Language Teaching
Hear about our English Language Teaching module
Rachel on English Language and Linguistics
Hear what one of our student Rachel gained from studying at Herts
Nina and Lucien on English Language and Linguistics
Hear what our students Nina and Lucien gained from Studying at Herts
Chat with our students and staff
Read our student blogs
- 5 top tips for preparing to move to university
- How to meet new people at university
- Accommodation - Moving in day
- Mental health support at university
- Commuting to university - will I miss out?