On-campus accommodation

The University has halls of residence on both the College Lane and the de Havilland campuses, you can choose to live in either, regardless of where you are studying.


On campus accommodation is safe, convenient and a great way to make new friends.

We have a fantastic range of halls on campus, including a limited number of adapted rooms for disabled students. Inside our halls are self-contained studio flats or sharing facilities for up to twelve students, each with single study, or sometimes twin, bedrooms. These rooms are either en-suite or share a bathroom with a few others.

The University does its best to provide on campus accommodation for all new students, but you must comply with application deadlines to guarantee your place.

Find out more about the process of securing on-campus accommodation.

Read the guides below for more information about living on either the College Lane or de Havilland campuses.

College Lane

de Havilland


Find out more about staying in halls.

Are bills included?

Yes, all utility bills are included in the cost of your accommodation.

Do you offer any catered halls?

No, none of our halls are catered. However, money can be loaded onto our cashless Food Hertfordshire loyalty cards which can be used at any of our food outlets on campus. There are kitchen facilities in all flats for those who prefer to cook for themselves.

How do I get my keys?

If you are moving into halls during the main arrivals weekend – 15 and 16 September, please read our arrivals leaflet.

Is there WiFi in halls?

Yes, all our halls of residence have University WiFi and every room has an ethernet port if you prefer a wired connection.

Do I have to pay Council Tax if I live in halls?

If you are living in halls you will be exempt from council tax for your term time address and you will not be billed.

Do I need a TV license?

The TVs in the communal areas of our Halls are already covered by a licence, however if you watch or record TV in your room you will need your own TV licence. Check the TV licensing website for more information.

Do I have to clean my kitchen?

Yes, it is important that residents maintain an acceptable level of cleanliness in their accommodation. This will be audited by staff on a regular basis.

Where can I clean my clothes?

At College Lane campus, there are card operated laundries in each of the courtyard common rooms. On de Havilland campus, there are 5 card operated laundries in the Halls of residence.

Can I have a visitor stay overnight?

Yes, you may have people to visit you, but you will need to ensure that you obtain a visitors' permit as any visitors found not to have a permit, may be escorted off site.

How do I receive post in halls?

Letters will be delivered to your mailbox, parcels will need to be collected from the accommodation helpdesk.

Can I bring my car?

Parking for students living in Halls is extremely limited and for most students this means it’s not possible for you to bring a car with you if you are living in halls.

Please visit our residential parking page for more information.

Do I need contents insurance?

Contents insurance is included as part of your on campus accommodation contract. Details of the policy and level of cover can be found here.

Who can I talk to if I have a problem with my accommodation?

Once you have moved in, there is lots of support available if you have any problems. You can contact a member of the Student Support team at housingservices@herts.ac.uk or you can call a Resident Assistant outside of office hours via security on +44 (0)1707 281010.

If you have any problems or queries with your accommodation application or offer before you move in, contact the Residential Allocations team.