Joint Honours programme

Create a unique degree and expand your knowledge by studying complementary or contrasting subjects with our Joint Honours programme.

Why Joint Honours?

  • Flexibility - Keep your options open and tailor your studies to your interests.
  • Adaptability - Broaden and deepen your knowledge across two or more disciplines and learn to approach problems from multiple perspectives.
  • Employability - A multiple subject degree shows employers that you are a rounded individual with broad interests and an ability to learn new things in a variety of fields.
  • Transferable skills - Develop highly sought after skills in the work place such as time management, independent study skills and organisation.
  • Great opportunities - Study abroad or gain real experience on a work placement year, brush up your language skills or simply experience a different culture and education system - whatever you choose to do and wherever you go you're sure to have an outstanding CV when you graduate.

When I was choosing my course I knew I didn’t want to do just law, media or journalism. I remember coming to the open day at Herts and for the first time feeling like my combination was possible. I study Journalism/Media Cultures and Law and I really enjoy studying the subjects together. Doing a Joint Honours degree, I’m lucky enough to have learned a whole host of skills and feel like I’m going in to the graduate market a much more rounded and adaptable person

Emma Pritchard, BA (Hons) Law and Journalism & Media Cultures graduate

Choose your subjects

You can study two subjects from a range of options including:

  • Business
  • Economics
  • History
  • Human Geography
  • Journalism & Media Cultures
  • Languages
  • Law
  • Mathematics
  • Philosophy
  • Psychology
  • Sports Studies

See a complete list of Joint Honours combinations.

You will study those two subjects for the length of your degree, but have the option on most courses to decide whether you wish to Major, Minor or remain studying as a Joint in the Second and Third Year.

There are some exclusions, and the pathway selected may be dependent on completing any pre-requisite modules to a required academic standard.

Further details are available on the course pages, or you can contact Carolyn Pegg c.1.pegg@herts.ac.uk if you require any additional information.

See a complete list of Joint Honours combinations.

How it works

In your second year you can choose to continue studying both subjects equally or to major in one (75%) and minor in the other (25%).

At the end of your second year you get to review your decision and if you have chosen a major subject you can go back to studying both your subjects equally again if you prefer.

If you continued on a Joint mode you can decide to major in one subject at the start of your third year*.

*some subjects/subject combinations have specific restrictions regarding availability of major/minor/joint options check your course page for details.

Being a Joint Honours student has given me the chance to fuse my passions for Law and Languages in one degree. Studying two different subjects complementing each other has widened my future career prospects and it's shaped me into a very diverse, adaptable and driven individual. But more importantly it definitely keeps things very interesting! It's been amazing.

Divine Bremathas, BA (Hons) Law and Languages graduate