Financial support for Postgraduate UK and EU students
£10,609 Postgraduate Loan for students starting in 2018/19
Students starting from September 2018, can apply to the Student Loans Company for a loan of up to £10,609 to study for a postgraduate Master's degree.
Postgraduate Loans are paid directly to the student, so you decide how to spend the money, whether that be to pay for some or all of your tuition, or to go towards living costs.
About the loan
Postgraduate loans are:
- Available to UK Nationals (and individuals with settled status in the UK) who have been ordinarily resident in the UK for three years on the first day of the first academic year of their course
- Available to EU Nationals
- Available to applicants aged under 60 on the first day of the first academic year of the course
- Available for full-time and part-time postgraduate masters programmes (part-time courses are subject to a minimum 50% intensity requirement).
- Maximum and minimum course duration's apply for both part-time and full-time study
- Paid directly to the student and non-means tested
When will postgraduate loan applications open?
- Applications for 2018/19 will open in Summer 2018.
Can I apply if I began my postgraduate Masters study prior to the 2016/17 academic year?
- Unfortunately not. Postgraduate Loans were introduced for students starting a postgraduate course from September 2016 onwards.
Can I apply for a Postgraduate Loan (PGL) if I am in receipt of a bursary?
Students are not eligible for a Postgraduate Loan if they are eligible to apply for a healthcare bursary, or are in receipt of a social work bursary from any of the following:
- National Health Service (NHS)
- Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety (DHSSPS)
- Student Awards Agency Scotland (SAAS)
Please note: Students who already hold a Master’s qualification (or an equivalent or higher level qualification) will not be eligible for a postgraduate loan.
Students who are awarded APL (Accreditation of Prior Learning) or APEL (Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning) towards their Master's will not be eligible for a PGL.
You must be studying for a full Masters qualification. Loans are not available for students studying for a PG Cert, PG Dip etc.
If you would like to see the government’s response to support for postgraduate study, please visit the Government website.
Email email@example.com if you need more information or have queries about financial support for Postgraduate students.
You are strongly advised to check your entitlement for the loan before registering on your Postgraduate course. For further details, go to the Gov.uk website www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/eligibility or email firstname.lastname@example.org