Finance tips and training
Plan your budget
Carefully planning a budget will help you cope financially while at university. Use this budget planner as an example.
|Average expenditure||Living in halls of residence||Living in private rented accommodation|
|Rent||£92 - £189*||£70 - £115 *|
|Day to day travel||£20 **||£20 **|
Please note that these figures are a guideline only, amounts will vary depending on an individual students requirements.
** Remember travelling home can be expensive. We suggest that you set aside £175 for this each year - obviously this depends on where you live.
Money saving tips
You can make your money go further with these money-saving tips:
- Look out for shops, services, restaurants and bars offering student discounts.
- Buy own brand products - we have found most students can't actually tell the difference when tested.
- Shop for food on a full stomach – that way you're less likely to impulse buy.
- Buy second-hand text books online or from students in the year above.
- Take advantage of buy one get one free offers in supermarkets. Bulk buying with friends will also save money.
- Cut utility bills by getting advice on how to save energy. For useful tips, see the Energy Saving Trust
- Try to cook more than one meal at a time and freeze the leftover food for another day.
- Only take out the amount of cash you've budgeted to spend on a night out.
- Try to save some money each month for emergencies.
Financial education training with Blackbullion
Financial education made easy!
Blackbullion is dedicated to creating a future capable generation by empowering people to reach their full potential.
Student Funding and Financial Support have teamed up with Blackbullion to help enhance financial education for all University of Hertfordshire students. Just like us, Blackbullion are passionate about inspiring a finance-savvy revolution by making it easier than ever before for students to learn about money management and boost their employability through a range of easy to follow, useful training programs and related services.
We’ve invested in a tool for you to learn the right financial skills to help you make the right financial decisions for your future.
Blackbullion is free to all University of Hertfordshire students!
How do I sign up?
- Go to www.blackbullion.com
- Click Register
- Select 'a University Student' from the drop down menu
- Enter the required details and Begin your journey
- Select Hertfordshire as your university
- Enter your Student ID number
- You're in!