Concordat and HR Excellence in Research
This page introduces the Concordat, the University's implementation of the Concordat, the HR Excellence in Research Award and the Researcher Development Framework.
The University fully endorses the principles of the Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers and will engage with its vision to ensure ongoing enhancement of the professional and career development of its research staff.
As part of its implementation of the Concordat, the University produced a brochure, Valuing Research Staff - Implementing the Concordat, illustrating some of the systems, structures and development opportunities that support our researchers.
In endorsing the Concordat, the University also endorses the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
The HR Excellence in Research Award
The University of Hertfordshire has been awarded the European Commission HR Excellence in Research Badge.
The University has held the badge since December 2010. It received external reapproval after the required two-year internal review and again after the four-year external review of the award. The award is in recognition of the University's commitment and achievements in implementing the Concordat for the Career Development of Researchers and the QAA Code of Practice for Research Degree Programmes. On receiving confirmation of our continued success in retaining the award for four more years, Dr Grace Lees-Maffei, Chair of the University of Hertfordshire Researcher Development Working Group said: 'This is an excellent result for the University. Vitae and the European Commission have recognised our very good work in supporting our researchers.' In 2016 we undertook a mid-term review of our progress, updated our 2014 action plan and set new goals in our 2016 action plan, which will inform our activities in the coming years.
- Concordat to Support the Career Development of Researchers (PDF - 2.27 Mb)
- Policy on Management of fixed term contracts (PDF - 0.15 Mb), June 2007
- 2009 Concordat gap analysis (PDF - 0.04 Mb) and action plan (PDF - 0.08 Mb)
- Valuing Research Staff – Implementing the Concordat (PDF - 0.26 Mb)
- University's Concordat launch event presentation on implementation (PDF - 0.44 Mb) and Implementation timeline (PDF - 0.08 Mb)
- 2-Year Assessment: 2012 review (PDF - 0.28 Mb) of researcher development with action plan and 2014 update of action plan (PDF - 0.14 Mb)
- 4-Year Assessment: 2014 review report (PDF - 0.33 Mb) and 2014-18 action plan (PDF - 0.25 Mb)
- 6-Year Assessment: 2016 review report (PDF - 0.13 Mb), updated 2014-18 action plan (PDF - 0.11 Mb) and 2016 action plan (PDF - 0.1 Mb)