Fully-funded studentships in the School of Creative Arts
Applications are invited for two fully-funded PhD studentships in the School of Creative Arts at the University of Hertfordshire. The studentships are offered on a full-time basis for three years (subject to satisfactory progress) and provide a bursary (currently £15,285 per annum for the academic year 2020-21), including a full tuition fee waiver for three years. Additional funding to support the research may also be available.
Successful candidates will be supported by a team of supervisors with experience and expertise on the selected topic of research. There may be opportunities to undertake teaching-related activities in a relevant area.
Our doctoral programmes include standard PhDs and professional doctorates in fine art (doctorate in fine art) and design (doctorate in design) aimed at applicants with substantial prior professional experience at an advanced level. The successful candidate will have access to the School’s lively programme of research seminars and workshops including those offered by the doctorate in heritage programme.
The School particularly welcomes applications from British Black, Asian and minority ethnic applicants working on post-colonial and non-Eurocentric perspectives.
About the Project
Applications are welcome on any of the broad research topics set out below:
- critical perspectives in practice-led research in the fine arts
- critical perspectives in the arts and sciences
- architecture and the built environment, zero-carbon design and design for future cities
- critical perspectives in Heritage with particular reference to Black, Asian and minority ethnic perspectives
- virtual Reality, and Artificial Intelligence and its applications
- art and Design History, Visual and Media Culture in the 19th and 20th centuries, particularly from non-western, non-Eurocentric perspectives.
Applicants may find it helpful to look at the nature of current research in the School
Applicants should normally have a masters qualification in a relevant field.
The studentships are open to UK applicants only.
How to apply
Applicants are required to provide the following documents:
- a completed application form
- a 2000-word research proposal setting out the broad topic of study, including a short bibliography of key recent secondary sources
- two academic references
- copies of qualification certificates and transcripts
- a copy of passport photo page
Please send completed applications to the Doctoral College at firstname.lastname@example.org, using the following format in the email subject line: Creative Arts Doctoral Studentship.
For enquiries regarding research degrees at the University of Hertfordshire, please email Ms Lynette Spelman. Ms Spelman can also answer general queries on the application process.
The closing date for applications is 12 February 2021. It is anticipated that interviews will take place in late February and early March.
Studentships will start in April 2021.