English Literature and Creative Writing
Explore our research
Research in English Literature at the University of Hertfordshire is flourishing, and the research group has expanded since the last national Research Excellence Framework in 2014, in which our Literature research was rated 53% word-leading (4 star) or internationally excellent (3 star).
The success of the group can be measured not only by our diverse publications and by recent external funding success, but also by the wide range of activities and projects that continue to be central to our research ethos.
What we do
Our research community works with:
- postgraduate students undertaking an MA by Research, or PhD
- scholars from other institutions, both UK and international
- local arts and heritage organisations
- members of the public wishing to collaborate with us
- global research networks facilitated by digital media
Our research projects are wide-ranging and seek to have an impact beyond academia and the university. We are also part of the University's Heritage Hub working with local partners on a range of projects.
A thriving research community
- Conferences, research seminars, and lectures attract diverse audiences including internationally acclaimed academics, students, and members of the public.
- Our postgraduate community is growing.
- Our research projects have a strong public-facing, community-based agenda.
- The international peer-reviewed literary journal Critical Survey is edited by our researchers.
Apply for an English research degree
Get more information on how you can apply to study for an English research degree.