Canadian student loans

Canadian students who study at the University of Hertfordshire can access financial aid from the Canadian government.

There are 2 main categories of student loan:

  • The Federal Loan, called the Canada Student Loans Program
  • Provincial and Territorial Loans

These loans are means-tested, which means that you must demonstrate financial need in order to qualify.

Am I eligible for a loan?

To apply for government student loans you must:

  • be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada or a protected person.
  • demonstrate financial need.
  • be enrolled in a degree, diploma or certificate program, which runs for at least 12 weeks in a 15-week period and is offered by a designated post-secondary institution.
  • be taking at least 60% of a full course load as a full-time student.
  • pass a credit check if you are 22 years or older and are applying for student loans for the first time.
  • not have exhausted your maximum lifetime limit of financial assistance, including interest-free status.

In order to continue receiving student loans for each year of study, you must maintain satisfactory grades.

For further information, please visit the CanLearn website.

How do I apply?

This depends on where you live as a permanent resident.

  1. Integrated provincial-federal loans: students apply to their province of residence only, and the loan management and repayment is made exclusively through the National Student Loans Service Centre.
  2. Stand-Alone loans: students apply to one agency to receive their student financial assistance, but will receive and manage two separate loans.

To find the correct application for you, visit the CanLearn website.

You have to submit a loan application for every year of study that your require financial support.

Any paperwork in relation to either federal or provincial/territorial loans must be completed by the Fees and Funding Team only at the University of Hertfordshire.

Documents should be sent to: Fees and Funding, Student Centre, Hutton Hub, University of Hertfordshire, College Lane, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 9SR, United Kingdom.

Or you can email

How will I be paid?

Approved funds will be paid directly into your bank account once the Student Services Branch receives:

  • confirmation that you have returned the original student loan agreement to your provincial or territorial Student Assistance Office.
  • confirmation of enrolment from the University. Please send all enrolment forms to the Fees and Funding team for completion.