We require you to demonstrate your English language proficiency before an unconditional offer will be made to you. For the majority of our courses, we accept the following tests
- GCSE English Language at grade C or above.
- IGCSE English at grade C or above.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.0 (with no less than 5.5 in any band) for undergraduate or 6.5 (with no less than 5.5 in any band) for postgraduate.
- Cambridge English Qualifications: B2 First (FCE) and C1 Advanced (CAE) score of 169 (with no less than 162 in any band) for undergraduate or 176 (with no less than 162 in any band) for postgraduate. C2 Proficiency (CPE) score of 180 (with no less than 162 in any band) for both undergraduate and postgraduate.
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) 51 (with no less than 42 in any band) for undergraduate or 58 (with no less than 42 in any one band) for postgraduate.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 72 with band scores of reading 18, writing 17, listening 17, speaking 20 for undergraduate or a score of 79 with band scores of reading 18, writing 17, listening 17, speaking 20 for postgraduate.
- LanguageCert International ESOL SELT B2 (Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking) Listening: 33/50; Reading: 33/50: Writing: 33/50; Speaking: 33/50
- Local English language qualifications including Indian Standard XII English Language (65% undergraduate/70% to 75% postgraduate).
This is not an exhaustive list. Please refer to the UKVI for a full list of approved English language tests.
IELTS, PTE and TOEFL tests are valid for 2 years and must be valid up to the date the CAS (Certificate of Acceptance for Studies) is issued.
The following courses have a different English language requirement:
IELTS 6.5 (minimum band scores also apply)
- All postgraduate Business courses
- All undergraduate and postgraduate Humanities courses
- All postgraduate Art, Design, Film, Music and Media courses
- All undergraduate and postgraduate Nursing courses
- All undergraduate and postgraduate Social Work courses
- Most courses in the School of Health and Emergency professions
- BSc Nutrition
- BSc Pharmaceutical Science
- MSc Biotechnology
- MSc Pharmacology
- MSc Molecular Biology
- MSc Environmental Management
- MSc Business Psychology
- MSc Psychology
- All postgraduate education programmes
IELTS 7.0 (minimum band scores also apply)
- BSc Physiotherapy
- BSc Dietetics
- MSc Social Work
- MSc Advancing Pharmacy Practice
- MSc Organisational Psychology
Course webpages include English language requirements.
UKVI minimum requirements listed below differ from the University's overall English entry criteria.