Welcome to students from USA
Here you will find important information for American students on entry requirements, who to speak to and when and where you can meet our representatives in your country.
The University of Hertfordshire offers a welcoming community of over 4,000 international students from more than 100 countries worldwide.
We typically require the following qualifications from American students:
Point of entry Academic requirements * Language requirements * Foundation High School Diploma with a minimum overall average of 2.0 SAT or ACT Undergraduate (year 1) High School Diploma with a minimum overall average of 3.0, 2 Advanced Placement (AP) with a minimum score of 3.0 SAT 550 in each band or ACT 25 in each band Undergraduate (year 2/3) There are no agreed progression routes, but if you're interested in applying to the University after part completion of a degree or completion of a diploma, applications will be individually assessed. SAT 550 in each band or ACT 25 in each band Pre-masters Completion of a 4 year bachelors degree with less than GPA 2.5 out of 4 SAT 550 in each band or ACT 25 in each band Postgraduate taught Completion of a 4 year bachelors degree with GPA 2.5 out of 4 SAT 550 in each band or ACT 25 in each band
*Some courses may vary and/or have specific requirements – for details of the entry requirements for your course, please see our course pages or contact us to check your qualifications. Please note that all applications are assessed on an individual basis.
Apply for financial aid
The University of Hertfordshire accepts applicants using US Federal Student aid. All eligibility information can be found in the Consumer Information.
If you wish to apply for Federal Student Aid, please follow the process below once you have had an offer from our admissions department.
- To receive student financial aid the first step is to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can apply online from the FAFSA website. To sign your FAFSA online you'll need an FSA ID and information and a link to creating an FSA ID is on the FAFSA website. The University of Hertfordshire school code (OPE) is G10525.
- Once your FAFSA has been completed and processed you'll be sent a Student Aid Report (SAR). Please check your name, social security number, date of birth and all other information to make sure that it is accurate. We will send you an email confirming receipt of your FAFSA once it arrives with our office which can take up to a week after you have submitted it online. This email will also contain information on the other steps that need to be taken to complete your loan application with us.
- Students taking a Federal Direct Loan are required to sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN). The MPN is a legal document through which you promise to repay your Direct Loan. You will need to complete a new MPN for each academic year that you take out a Direct Loan. You can complete a Direct Loan MPN online at the StudentLoans.gov website. You will need your FSA ID.
- Please send just one e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org which includes all the required attachments listed below:
- Entrance counselling, this needs to include both Direct Loan and Direct PLUS Loan if taking both types of loan. This is required even if already completed at another University. It is not required by current students if they have already completed the relevant entrance counselling for our office.
- Copy of confirmation of offer/conditional offer letter (if received). This is not required for current students who have previously taken a Federal Loan.
- The University of Hertfordshire US Loan Eligibility Questionnaire. Please open our online form with one of the following browsers: IE version 11, Chrome, Firefox or Safari. Please also see guidance notes (PDF - 0.41 Mb) for completing the online form.
- Copy of your passport photo page.
Once your loan has been approved you will be sent a loan award letter. This must be taken to your visa interview when applying for a student visa. Please contact email@example.com so we can confirm your eligibility.
General guidance and information:
- Careers and Recruitment
- Code of conduct
- Consumer information
- Copyright infringement - UP
- Degree Accreditation
- Drug and Alcohol Misuse by Students
- Freedom of Information
- SAP - Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
- Services and facilities for students with disabilities
- Student support
- Return to Title IV Funds
US Private Loans:
Financial aid is also available from private lenders. Before applying for a private loan, students are encouraged to apply for the maximum amount they are eligible for in direct loans.
We currently only accept Sallie Mae private loans.
All private loans originated by the University of Hertfordshire will be disbursed in one instalment. You will have the opportunity to instruct the University how you would like the loan to be apportioned against your tuition and/or accommodation fees.
If you wish to apply for a private loan, please follow the process below once you have had an offer from our admissions department.
- To receive student private loan, apply through the Sallie Mae website.
- Email copy of the following to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can confirm your loan.
- Copy of your passport photo page.
- Evidence of your loan application
- Sallie Mae Promissory Note (if applicable)
The actual GBP sterling you receive will vary as it is dependent upon the exchange rate from USD $ to GBP £ at the time of disbursement. Under normal circumstances the funds will be physically transferred to the University's bank account via Western Union Business Solutions in the first instance. From there the funds will be converted into sterling and your tuition fees and/or accommodation fees will be deducted as requested by yourself. The remaining credit will then be refunded to you via Western Union Business Solutions, where you will be prompted to update your bank details via a secure link. Before we can disburse anything to you, you need to open a UK bank Account. Please note that it can take up to 10 days to open a UK bank account.
Failure to provide bank details when prompted will result in WUBS issuing a cheque which will be sent to the University for holding.
You will receive an email when your disbursement is available. When you receive this email, you may contact us to reduce or cancel the disbursement.
WARNING - if you don't warn us in advance not to draw down your disbursement, then you will be responsible for all interest charges and for its repayment.
When we initiate disbursement, if there is anything which prevents us from making payment to you, we will immediately contact you by email and tell you what to do. Make sure that the email address the University of Hertfordshire has for you is current. Once registered, you can amend your contact details on StudyNet.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com.
Contact us in America
The University works with the following local representatives in America. Our representatives will provide you with detailed information about the University and its programmes and can offer practical assistance throughout the application process.
tel +1 (702) 318-7127 901