Visa conditions

Pay your fees

When entering the UK on a student visa there are certain conditions that you must be aware of. These include your responsibilities as a student on a Tier 4 visa, your right to work in the UK, police registration requirements and restrictions on driving in the UK.

The British Government provides useful information about Student Visas and Tier 4 guidance.

Your responsibilities

Your Tier 4 visa has some conditions, these conditions should be stated in your Biometric Residence Permit or vignette.

These conditions include:

  • Only being allowed to register with the institution who issued your CAS (and who is named on your visa), and doing so on time each academic year.
  • Ensuring that your attendance is good and any absence is reported.
  • Making sure that you abide by the University's regulations (which will be provided to you during the registration process).
  • Confirming to us immediately if your status changes (i.e. if you withdraw or suspend study on your course).

Your visa will include a start and end date. Make sure you do not try to enter the UK before the start of your visa and that either you return home or you apply to make a new visa application (if eligible) before your leave expires.

Working in the UK

Most students entering the UK on a Tier 4 student visa are permitted to work a maximum 20 hours per week during term time.

Please note that if you are studying on a course classed as below degree level, which includes our International Foundation and English Language courses then you are only permitted to work a maximum of 10 hours per week.

Your vignette or biometric residence permit will tell you how many hours you are allowed to work.

If you have entered the UK on a Student Visitor Visa you are not permitted to work - either paid or unpaid.

Find out more about your right to work in the UK. Many of our undergraduate courses include an optional work placement opportunity, allowing you to obtain industry experience in the UK as part of your degree programme. This is permitted on a Tier 4 student visa and will allow you to work full time during your placement but only if this is part of your degree programme.

Police registration

If your entry clearance stamp or visa contains the words 'police registration within seven days of UK entry' then you are required to do so. Failure to do so would be a breach of the conditions of your visa.

The international student support team will be able to assist you in the process of registering with the police.

Driving in the UK

Having a licence which is valid in your own country does not allow you to drive in the UK. To find out more about driving in the UK please refer to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) advice for driving as a visitor or new resident.

Travelling to the UK