Applying for a Student Visa in the UK

Pay your fees

Supporting documents (document checklist)

Remember all documents should be the originals, and if not in English, you must also include a certified English translation.

Click here for our ‘Checklist - Making a Tier 4 Visa application from within the UK’.


Applies to

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

Insert your CAS number on your visa application.

All applicants

Passport/travel document

Your current (valid) passport/travel document and any previous (expired) documents

All applicants

Bank statement, sponsor letter or loan letter

Must be original documents in the correct Home Office format and held an account approved by the Home Office.

If submitting parents/legal guardians bank statements you must also submit your original birth certificate/adoption certificate/court document and letter of consent from parents/legal guardian.

Remember the funds you need to show must have been held for 28 day consecutive days.

All applicants - EXCEPT

‘Low risk nationals’ (unless requested). See here for list of ‘Low Risk Nationals’

Tier 4 application document checklist

Print this once you have submitted your on-line application

All applicants

Academic transcripts/certificates

Submit your original qualifications stated on your CAS, including your Secure English Language Test (SELT) if this applies to you.

All applicants - EXCEPT

‘Low risk nationals’ (unless requested). See here for list of ‘Low Risk Nationals’

Translated documents

If any of your documents (including bank statements) are not in English, you must submit official translations

All applicants

ATAS certificate

You must have an ATAS certificate before you apply for your visa.  Print and submit a copy of your ATAS certificate.

All applicants who require it – see here.

Police registration certificate

Submit your original certificate.

All applicants who had this condition on any previous UK visa

Proof of parental/legal guardian consent

A written letter from your parents/legal guardian giving their consent for you to travel and live independently in the UK.

All applicants who are under 18 years of age

Useful resources

UK Council for International Student Affairs

Home Office

Priority service

Live chat