Apply online through Clearing


Book an Open Day


Book your virtual open day


Get info updates

Applying for a Student Visa from overseas

Pay your fees

Document checklist

Before you attend your appointment check you have all relevant documents for your visa application.


Applies to

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

Insert your CAS number on your visa application.

All applicants

Passport/travel document

Current (valid) passport/travel document and any previous (expired) documents.

All applicants

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)

Current BRP (if applicable).

All applicants

1 x passport-sized photo

Your full name must be written on the back.

All applicants – for guidelines check here

Tuberculosis test certificate

From an approved clinic

All applicants who require the test (check here)

Bank statement, sponsor letter or loan letter

Must be original documents in the correct Home Office format and held in an account approved by the Home Office.

If submitting parents/legal guardians bank statements you must also submit your original birth certificate/adoption certificate/court document and letter of consent from parents/legal guardian.

Remember the funds you need to show must have been held for 28 day consecutive days.

All applicants - EXCEPT

‘Low risk nationals’ (unless requested). See here for list of ‘Low Risk Nationals’

Completed visa application form

Print and submit a copy of your completed visa application form

All applicants

Academic transcripts/certificates

Submit your original qualifications stated on your CAS, including your Secure English Language Test (SELT) if this applies to you.

All applicants - EXCEPT

‘Low risk nationals’ (unless requested). See here for list of ‘Low Risk Nationals’

Translated documents

If any of your documents (including bank statements) are not in English, you must submit official translations

All applicants

ATAS certificate

You must receive your ATAS certificate before you apply for your visa.  Print and submit a copy of your ATAS certificate

All applicants who require it – see here.

Police registration certificate

Submit your original certificate

All applicants who had this condition on any previous UK visa.

Evidence of your immigration status in the country from where you are applying

Document to show your current immigration status e.g. residence permit, green card, valid visa.

All applicants who are NOT a national of the country from where they are applying

Proof of parental/legal guardian consent

A written letter from your parents/legal guardian giving their consent for you to travel and live independently in the UK.

All applicants who are under 18 years of age

Useful resources

UK Council for International Student Affairs website

Home Office website

Live chat