Apply online through Clearing


Book an Open Day


Book your virtual open day


Get info updates


Alumni Awards 2024

Frequently asked questions

Pay your fees


Can I come and visit the University before I start my course?

Yes you can. We have open days over the course of the year where you will be able to view our facilities and on campus accommodation as well as having the opportunity to speak to academic staff and students. Please remember to book your space. If you require a visa to visit our campus, you will need to arrange this yourself. You can check visa requirements on the UK Government website.

Where can I get an application form from?

For undergraduate entry, international students can apply to the University either through UCAS or via an approved representative, which you'll find on our page on your country. They can support you with our online application form.

How long will it take to receive my offer?

An offer may take up to 2 weeks to process. Some offers can take longer depending on course and point of application. If you are applying for one of the subjects in Creative Arts, Health or Education you can expect decisions to take longer than standard due to additional checks and entry requirements.

I can't attend this year, can I defer my offer?

If you would like to defer your offer, you will need complete the Deferral Request Form, stating your application number, full name and the intake you would like to be deferred to.

Can I make an application if I'm awaiting evidence of my academic qualifications?

You can still apply even if you haven't yet received all of your academic results. You will receive a conditional offer outlining what qualifications and grades you will need to achieve in order to meet our entry requirements. Once you have received evidence of obtaining your qualifications you can email them into us at

What is the refund procedure?

Full refunds are issued if your visa is refused or you do not meet the academic or financial conditions of your offer, or if you change your mind within 14 days of accepting your offer. Other circumstance may incur a non-refundable charge. Details of refunds can be found in our Fees and Finance Policy.

CAS and Visas

Will the university help with my visa application?

We do not offer visa support to applicants although we can offer general advice on the application process. Assistance is only provided when registered University of Hertfordshire students are applying for a renewal or extension of the student visa.

What vaccinations will I need to have before I travel to the UK?

International students won’t require specific vaccinations to travel to the UK (here are the documents needed at boarder control) but we would always recommend that you are up to date with all your vaccinations including your MEN ACWY vaccination and MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) at least 2 weeks before you travel to the UK.

Can I work whilst studying?

Most students entering the UK on a Student visa are permitted to work a maximum 20 hours per week during term time.

If your visa includes the words 'work and any changes must be authorised' then as outlined above you are able to work without seeking any further permission.

Please note that if you are studying on a course classed as below degree level, which includes our International Foundation and English Language courses then you are only permitted to work a maximum of 10 hours per week.

If you have entered the UK on a Student Visitor Visa you are not permitted to work.

Find out more about your right to work in the UK.

Can I remain in the UK to work following graduation?

Yes. There are various categories under which a student can apply to remain in the UK to work after their studies. See details from the Home Office. If you would like more information about the Post Study Work Visa, please refer to the UK Government website.

What do I do if my visa expires before the graduation ceremony?

You will not be able to apply for a visitor's visa from the UK to attend your graduation ceremony. You will need to leave and return home to make that visa application. The exam office will provide you with a visa support letter to state that you have completed your studies and that you are invited to a graduation ceremony, along with 2 guests of your choice. The letter will state the date of the ceremony and that the letter is to support your visa application.

You can select that you need a visa support letter when you register, if you do not do this then you just need to email the exams office at with your name, student number and an address for the letter to be sent to and they will be able to process it for you.

Course information

Am I able to change my course, if so how?

It is possible to change the course once you hold an offer of a place from the University. Please email including details of your application number and full name. Please note your application may need to be re-assessed by an academic tutor which could incur delays in processing your application and receiving your offer letter.

Can I study a pre-sessional course before my chosen undergraduate or postgraduate degree?

If you don't meet the English or academic requirement of your undergraduate or postgraduate degree, you can study on one of our pre-sessional English courses.

Do you offer distance learning courses?

We offer online undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Business, Computer Science and IT, Creative Arts and Public Health. Find out more about our online courses.


How do I apply for accommodation?

The University offers a range of accommodation to international students. You can apply electronically, please see our accommodation page for details.