International entry requirements
Before applying please check whether you meet the entry requirements for the degree course you are interested in.
Please see our country webpages for specific entry requirements.
If your country is not listed, the University's standard entry requirements are listed on this page. If you don't yet meet these requirements, please contact us to check your qualifications.
Pre-sessional English at Hertfordshire
If you have not achieved the required English language level for entry to your chosen degree course, we offer Pre-sessional English short courses and a HIC pathway.
Please note, you must ensure that you undertake one of the new UKVI Secure English Language Test (SELT) Academic IELTS or Trinity College Tests of English (UK only) in order to be eligible for a Tier 4 student visa for a preparatory course. We will be unable to accept any other English test providers in light of recent changes made by the Home Office to English language provision. Please visit the Home Office website for details of approved test centres where you may undertake one of the new style SELT IELTS.
Please visit our course page for specific entry requirements in terms of international qualifications. If you have a query relating to the equivalence of your local qualification please contact us.
The normal entry requirements for undergraduate degrees are completion of 12 years of school education and successful completion of a school leaving certificate equivalent to UK 'A' Levels.
A Level: please see our course pages for the A Level requirements for your course of interest.
International Baccalaureate: 24 (International Foundation Programme) - 34 points.
Before you apply you should check whether you meet the entry requirements for the degree course you are interested in. The normal entry requirements for postgraduate degrees are completion of a Bachelor degree in a relevant subject area at a level equivalent to a UK second class honours degree.
University English Language requirements
We require you to demonstrate your English Language proficiency before an unconditional offer will be made to you. For the majority of our courses, we accept the following tests
- GCSE English Language at grade C or above
- IGCSE English at grade C or above
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.0 (with no less than 5.5 in any band) for undergraduate or 6.5 (with no less than 5.5 in any band) for postgraduate
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) 51 (with no less than 42 in any band) for undergraduate or 58 (with no less than 42 in any one band) for postgraduate
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 72 with band scores of reading 18, writing 17, listening 17, speaking 20 for undergraduate or a score of 79 with band scores of reading 18, writing 17, listening 17, speaking 20 for postgraduate
- Indian Standard XII English Language (65% undergraduate/70% postgraduate)
This is not an exhaustive list. Please refer to the UKVI for a full list of approved English language tests.
IELTS, PTE and TOEFL tests are valid for 2 years and must be valid up to the date the CAS (Certificate of Acceptance for Studies) is issued.
The following courses have a different English language requirement:
IELTS 6.5 (minimum band scores also apply)
- All postgraduate Business courses
- All undergraduate and postgraduate Humanities courses
- All postgraduate Art, design, film, music and media courses
- All undergraduate and postgraduate nursing courses
- All undergraduate and postgraduate social work courses
- Most courses in the School of Health and Emergency professions
- BSc Nutrition
- BSc Pharmaceutical Science
- MSc Biotechnology
- MSc Pharmacology
- MSc Molecular Biology
- MSc Environmental Management
- MSc Business Psychology
- MSc Psychology
- All postgraduate education programmes
IELTS 7.0 (minimum band scores also apply)
- BSc Physiotherapy
- BSc Dietetics
- MSc Social Work
- MSc Advancing Pharmacy Practice
- MSc Organisational Psychology
Course webpages include English language requirements.
UKVI minimum requirements listed below differ from the University's overall English entry criteria.
UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) minimum English requirements
For ease of reference please see below the UK Visa and immigration agency (UKVI) minimum equivalences of B1, B2 and C1 English language levels.
*where available, this refers to Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking
|Common European Framework level|
| IELTS (Academic and |
4.0 in all four
5.5 in all four
7.0 in all four components
| Pearson Test of |
36 in all four
42 in all four components
65 in all four
and Guilds IESOL and ISESOL
in all four components
|Cambridge English (Advanced level)||N/A|
Reading – Weak
Listening – Weak
Speaking- WeakWriting – Weak
Reading – Borderline
Listening – Borderline
Speaking- BorderlineWriting – Borderline
Trinity College London, ESOL Skills for Life and Integrated skills in English
Entry Level Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (pass in all components)
ISEI (pass in all components)
Level 1 Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (pass in all components)
ISEII (pass in all components)
Level 2 Certificate in ESOL Skills for Life (pass in all components
ISEIII (pass in all components)
Taking a test
If you have not already demonstrated that you have the required English Language proficiency for your course, you will need to take a secure English Language test. Please note, if your offer has an English language condition included, this is expressed as an IELTS requirement. We do, however, accept other English language test providers, including Pearsons.
Test centre details - please follow the links to find out more or book a test: