Herts Sustainability Accelerator T&Cs and Eligibility Criteria
Terms & Conditions:
1. The Herts Sustainability Accelerator is part of a set of business support provisions included in ‘Building Back Better,’ a Community Renewal Fund (CRF)-funded programme delivered by University of Hertfordshire (UH) in partnership with Exemplas and the Hertfordshire Growth Hub (HGH). Supported businesses will be looking to develop innovative and sustainable products, services and/or technologies to future proof their businesses and contribute to tackling the challenges presented by a changing climate. The bespoke support package provided by our Accelerator Programme aims to fill the need for specialist support for businesses interested in furthering their R&D related to sustainable, low carbon, resource efficient products, services and/or technologies.
2. The Expression of Interest form must be completed to be considered for support under the Herts Sustainability Accelerator. The Support provided under the programme includes a tailored package of technical and commercial consultancy support and 1:1 mentoring support provided by the University of Hertfordshire to deliver the applicant’s proposed idea/innovation including access to technical labs/specialist equipment, prototyping support and small-cash funding to cover directly related costs (e.g. materials). For full details about the programme, please check here.
3. We are looking to select up to 10 SME businesses with a base in Hertfordshire that have the potential to scale-up and are looking for support to develop new, innovative & sustainable products, services and/or technologies. You may be requested to attend an interview, should the selection panel require more information about your application.
4. The form should be completed by the main applicant.
5. Eligible applicants should be Hertfordshire-based SMEs putting forward a project with sustainability at its core and must be committed to completing the programme and the proposed project within the timeframe of the programme. Full details on the Eligibility Criteria, and details on the selection process can be found here.
6. Some sections in this EOI are mandatory and marked with an asterisk (*). Please ensure that you fill in all mandatory sections.
7. All support provided as part of this programme will be made in compliance with any applicable UK Subsidies Rules and Regulations.
Core (must have) criteria:
- Hertfordshire based SME*, registered in Companies House
- Team of at least two entrepreneurs fully committed to driving the venture forward and to making the most of the accelerator support package
- Commitment to complete the proposed project in the 15-weeks period between 01-03-22 & 14-06-22
- Companies must have sustainability at the core of their proposed project
- Projects must propose an innovative new product/service/technology with the potential to scale-up and generate positive societal impact.
Additional notes on the eligibility criteria:
Applications from all sectors will be considered, however, we are particularly keen to hear from companies with innovative propositions in the following areas:
- Low carbon construction/ built environment solutions
- Low carbon design and/or technologies applied to other sectors
- Sustainable Transport Solutions
- Solutions to achieve greater resource efficiency including energy storage and/or energy management, heat recovery, etc
- Innovative new materials that can provide an alternative for less sustainable ones
- Zero waste and/or circular business models
- Consumer-focussed solutions for a more sustainable future (including apps).
*SME definition: The UK government definition of SMEs encompasses micro (less than 10 employees and an annual turnover under €2 million), small (less than 50 employees and an annual turnover under €10 million) and medium-sized (less than 250 employees and an annual turnover under €50 million) businesses. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/961722/SME-Action-Plan.pdf
This project is funded by the UK Government through the UK Community Renewal Fund.
The UK Community Renewal Fund is a UK Government programme for 2021/22. This aims to support people and communities most in need across the UK to pilot programmes and new approaches to prepare for the UK Shared Prosperity Fund. It invests in skills, community and place, local business, and supporting people into employment. For more information, visit https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-community-renewal-fund-prospectus
Delivered in partnership by:
Funded by the UK Government through the UK Community Renewal Fund: