English language, linguistics and foreign languages
Language is at the heart of communication and forms the fundamentals of all types of culture, trade, business and behaviours. Crossing borders and spanning generations, learning to use language effectively will position graduates to face business challenges on a local and global scale.
Why choose this subject area?
- 13th in the UK for English (2023 Guardian League Table)
- a fresh take on traditional writing and the opportunity to study contemporary works that speak directly to our everyday lives
- expert academic team to support you and build your confidence as you develop into a literary scholar
- a flexible programme of study, allowing you to concentrate on areas you find especially interesting
- CV-building potential through work placements and extra-curricular activities
View our Undergraduate courses
Sign up for Clearing support package
Exclusive content to help you through Clearing
- Tips and info sent straight to your inbox
- Clearing advice livestream
- Subject campus tour
- 1-on-1 call with advisor
- Downloadable university starter kit
- Opportunity to have your first year society membership fee paid upon enrolment
'The overwhelming support I got from my lecturers was amazing. Whenever I had interests that lay beyond the topics covered, they always gave me the freedom to explore those subjects and weave them into my coursework. This individuality has really helped me find out what I want to do in life.'