About the course
Areas covered include:
Unit 1: Introduction to management coaching
- What is coaching?
- Coaching in organisations
- The manager as coach
Unit 2: Developing coaching relationships
- Principles of relational coaching
- Ethics, boundaries and contracting
Unit 3: Core skills of effective coaching
- The value of conversation
- Listening and questioning
Unit 4: Coaching methods and models
- Overview of models
- Overview of frameworks
- Using creative methods in coaching
Unit 5: Going beyond core skills
- Listening to yourself as well as others
- Behavioural patterns and drivers
Unit 6: Coaching endings and evaluations
- Reflecting on and evaluating your coaching
- Coaching Supervision
- How to use these skills in your workplace
Participants are encouraged to develop a reflective journal during the course and between sessions.
This course encourages participants to take seriously the conversations that take place in the workplace. The course takes a relational approach to coaching and mentoring that emphasises the broader skills of a helping conversation rather than one specific model of coaching. A range of coaching theories and models are introduced to support and enhance these skills. The course consists of six taught units, plus additional sessions for tutorials, assignment support and coaching practice.
The next course will begin on 9 February 2023.
Download a course overview and schedule
Application form link
If you have any questions or need any further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
By the end of the six taught units, participants should:
- Be able to explain the use of coaching and mentoring in leadership, as related to their practice and more generally in organisations
- Be aware of the importance of paying attention to relationships in coaching
- Be able to set up, conduct and evaluate effective and ethical coaching relationships and conversations
- Be aware of external and behavioural factors influencing coaching conversations and relationships
- Have knowledge of a range of coaching methods and frameworks and be able to use them when appropriate in the context of a coaching relationship
- Have developed as a coach through practice, supervision and personal reflection
plus will be working towards completing the assessment portfolio to achieve CMI Level 5 Certificate in Management Coaching and Mentoring (see below)
The course on its own does not carry a qualification and participants will complete a portfolio assessment against the CMI L5 Certificate in Management Coaching & Mentoring assessment criteria, specifically units 5014, 5015 and 5017.
This involves attendance at additional half-day workshops, personal tutoring, independent study, the submission of three written assignments and taking part in two assessed guided discussions.
Affiliate membership of CMI while studying and for one year after qualifying is included, plus access to CMI’s support resources and Management Direct portal.
The course will be taught in a hybrid format, with on-campus group teaching sessions, and the assignment support and tutorials held live online. Students will be fully supported by course resources in our virtual learning environment.
The course is led by Helen Charlwood, lecturer in Strategic Management at Hertfordshire Business School and an experienced facilitator, trainer and coach.
Helen is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy with expertise in designing and developing tailor-made personal, leadership and team development events and activities, specialising in conversational, experiential and creative approaches such as Appreciative Inquiry, story-telling and exploring metaphor.
Helen has significant experience as a coach, with skills in one-to-one executive coaching, as well as in developing others to become coaches and mentors and in providing coaching supervision.
The course features:
- Structured input
- Group activities
- Demonstrations from experienced & qualified coaches
- Practical coaching exercises
- Resources to download and keep
- Access to the University's learning facilities including online portal StudyNet
- CMI Affiliate membership and access to CMI's Management Direct portal
Course fee (including CMI affiliate membership and L5 qualification): £1,800
Any questions? Contact email@example.com