About the courseBack to course listing
Why choose this course?
Due to the coronavirus outbreak we are monitoring the situation and will update our short courses when we have further information.
On a Wednesday from 9.30 to 15.30 on the following dates:
- 16 September to 28 October 2020
- 04 November to 16 December 2020
- 13 January to 28 February 2021
- 03 March to 28 April 2021 (excluding 31 March & 07 April 2021 - Easter)
- Course cost is £340 for each 7 week course
On a Thursday from 19.00 to 21.30 on the following dates:
- 17 September to 29 October 2020
- 05 November to 17 December 2020
- 14 January to 25 February 2021
- 04 March to 29 April 2021 (7 excluding 01 & 08 April 2021 - Easter)
- Course cost is £185 for each 7 week course
On a Friday from 9.30 to 15.30 on the following dates:
- 18 September to 30 October 2020
- 06 November to 18 December 2020
- 15 January to 26 February 2021
- 05 March to 30 April 2021 (excluding 02 & 09 April 2021 - Easter)
- Course cost is £340 for each 7 week course
This life drawing workshop has been designed specifically to teach you the fine art skills of drawing and painting, and clay modelling if desired, where you will work primarily from observation of the human figure.
These fundamental skills will prepare you to develop as an artist, but will also aid the development of any kind of image-making or ‘art’ such as textiles or printmaking. These are the building blocks of all fine art work in the longer term and will be the tools which enable you to develop your creative ideas and put them into practice.
The course will cover the following topics, working mainly from a life model:
- Skills in draughtsmanship, line, tone, form, and composition
- Drawing with accurate perspective and proportion
- How to use colour to create harmony, balance, and mood.
- How to create rhythms and movement in a composition.
- How to use a variety of 2D media, pen, pencil, pastel, paint and paper
- How to use less traditional materials and methods such as collage, sticks, sponges etc.
- How to work in 3D, with clay, plaster, wire or card (optional)
You will be encouraged to experiment and develop an individual style and approach to your work. Throughout the course there will be group discussions and reference to relevant artists and exhibitions.
This workshop course is suitable for all levels of experience, since a broad range of basic skills are taught. The same drawing skills can also be applied to design subjects, and so this course is valuable for undertaking creative work in any medium or discipline, not just fine art.kshop course is suitable for all levels of experience, as a broad
If you wish to discuss this or any other creative art short course please contact the short course team on 01707 285327 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that materials are not included within this course.
Once you have booked a course you will be sent a materials list, with instructions about what to bring on your first day. Materials can be purchased from our School shop, or online. Where necessary or relevant, some specialist materials can be purchased from the staff during workshops.
Bookings for all Creative Arts Short Courses will be reviewed 2 weeks before the start date of each course. This will allow the Short Course team to determine whether a course has met the minimum number of students needed for the class to run. If a class has failed to recruit, the class will be re-scheduled and you will be informed. Where relevant you will be offered an alternative class. If the course has met minimum numbers, bookings will stay open to the course start date or until it has met maximum numbers.
We encourage you to book early before the deadline to avoid disappointment.
Bookings for all short courses need to be made online through the Universities’ online booking system, before a course commences. You cannot enrol or attend a class on the day the course starts, without prior arrangement.
Address and Directions
Our address is The School of Creative Arts, College Lane Campus, Hatfield, Herts AL10 9AB.
For Maps and Directions please visit our helpful ‘Where to Find Us’ page. Further details are sent by email when you have booked.
Refunds for cancellation of places on the course shall not be made during the 14-day period immediately preceding the date on which the course commences. For further details of cancellation terms, please see the following link http://www.herts.ac.uk/about-us/legal/cancellation-right
|Start Date||End Date||Day and Time||Cost||Link|
|16/09/2020||28/10/2020||Wednesdays 09:30 - 15:30||£340||Apply online|
|17/09/2020||29/10/2020||Thursdays 19:00 - 21:30||£185||Apply online|
|18/09/2020||30/10/2020||Fridays 09:30 - 15:30||£340||Apply online|
|04/11/2020||16/12/2020||Wednesdays 09:30 - 15:30||£340||Apply online|
|05/11/2020||17/12/2020||Thursdays 19:00 - 21:30||£185||Apply online|
|06/11/2020||18/12/2020||Fridays 09:30 - 15:30||£340||Apply online|
|13/01/2021||24/02/2021||Wednesdays 09:30 - 15:30||£340||Apply online|
|14/01/2021||25/02/2021||Thursdays 19:00 - 21:30||£185||Apply online|
|15/01/2021||26/02/2021||Fridays 09:30 - 15:30||£340||Apply online|
|03/03/2021||28/04/2021||Wednesdays 09:30 - 15:30||£340||Apply online|
|04/03/2021||29/04/2021||Thursdays 19:00 - 21:30||£185||Apply online|
|05/03/2021||30/04/2021||Fridays 09:30 - 15:30||£340||Apply online|