8~12 years old - Creative Photography Summer School
About the course
What is the most exciting photograph you have ever taken?
Join us on an exciting adventure in photography, using a combination of workshops, demonstrations and in-class exercises. You will explore and test different techniques and materials in photography. These include Pinhole Photography, Cyanotype, Photogram, Darkroom processing and composition principle, which will encourage you to explore different creative photographic methods.
- Day 1 - You will make a Pinhole Camera and understand how images are formed. We will go through the concept of Camera Obscura and understand the characteristics of light. You will develop your pinhole photographs in the darkroom by traditional photographic method.
- Day 2 - You will experience the process of Cyanotype and create your own photographic papers. You will go through the process of contact printing and develop your first photogram by Cyanotype.
- Day 3 - You will explore the structure of a large format camera and take a self-portrait by silver gelatin photographic paper. You will go through a series of darkroom processing techniques and introduce the functions of different chemicals in darkroom processing.
- Day 4 - You will experience the process of solarization in the gelatin silver printing process. In this workshop, we will explore and discuss the relationship between time and photography.
- Day 5 - You will explore the process and characteristics of Liquid Light Photographic Emulsion and develop your image in a daily object. You will go through a series of alternative photographic techniques as well as discuss the relationship between photography and personal objects.
At the end of the course, you will typically have knowledge and understanding of:
- Creative photographic methods.
- Camera Obscura and basic camera structure.
- Process of traditional photographic duplication.
- Basic darkroom processing technique.
- Alternative photography
Monday 08 August to Friday 12 August 2022, 09:30-15:30
If you wish to discuss this or any other creative art short course please contact the short course team on 01707 285327 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Signing in is from 9.20am and 9.25am each day in the Art Gallery and the summer workshops will start at 9.30. We finish at 15.30pm. You will need to be picked up promptly at 15.30pm, again from the Art Gallery. Parents and carers, if you have any problems and think that you may be late, please let us know by calling 01707 285327.
Where to find us
For directions of the campus site, please follow the link below where you can download a map of the College Lane Campus:
The drop off point is the Art Gallery, and you can find this by our wayfinding app here. We suggest you park in one the bays around the nearby Lindop Building for drop off. You can drop off anytime between 9.20am and 9.25am. Collection is promptly at 15.30. nb There is a strict 30-minute limit to free parking. If you are over this time, we suggest paying for a 1-hour car park ticket to avoid a fine from our external parking providers.
We have an exciting programme of activities planned. You will find out more about art and design courses and you will be meet practising artists and designers. Each group will have an assistant art tutor with them for the whole time you are here, and you will meet them on your first morning. They can help you with any concerns you have while you are here.
Parents/Guardians: When registering, please enrol with your own details. There is a field on the enrolment paperwork where you can enter your son or daughter's name and age.
We need contact numbers so we can contact parents/carers at any time. These details need to be confirmed on the form attached to the email. Should you need to contact us please phone the Short Course Office on 01707 285327. It is very important that we know in advance if you cannot for any reason be collected on time at the end of the day.
Wear suitable and comfortable clothes as you may get messy and dirty (that is what art is all about!). An overall, apron or large shirt would be ideal.
Food & Drink
You will need to bring your own packed lunch. Water will be available during breaks and lunchtime.
Materials to bring along
All materials needed for all the summer schools will be provided by the University.
If you need to bring any medication with you, please make sure it is clearly labelled with your child’s name and any instructions. These can be administered by us provided the medical permission form enclosed has been signed by a parent or carer and handed in on arrival on your first day.
|Start Date||End Date||Day and Time||Cost||Link|
|08/08/2022||12/08/2022||Monday to Friday 09:30 - 15:30||£200.00||Apply online|