7WLM0022Environmental Health and Wellbeing (Lvl 7) (Online)
About the course
This online course will enable you to:
- critically understand environmental public health through exploring the relationship between the environment, health and wellbeing, and considering the determinants of health and healthcare systems
- reflect on the national and global challenges and intervention of improving the environment to support health improvements
- gain an in-depth understanding of key areas including environmental health policies, transport, housing and health, food and health, water resources and health, the built environment and the health impact assessment, air pollution, carbon-footprint and sustainability.
For more information, please email our Online Degrees Team.
Who should attend this course?
- anyone working in health care, social care, or similar public health service, who wants to enhance their conceptual underpinning and practical skills in order to improve individual and population health
- the course is tailored implicitly towards the needs of diverse health professionals including doctors, pharmacists, nurses, midwives, public health nurses
- for allied health, social care and environmental health professionals
- for the wider public health workforce in the non-governmental sector
- for those who are not ready to commit to the complete degree yet and would like to try one module to see how online study will fit around their work and life commitments.
This course examines the environment as a determinant of health and wellbeing and assesses the impact of environmental planning and design on public health. A critical appraisal of the interaction of the environment with health systems will be explored and identify the potential of how environmental activity can improve public health.
You will have the opportunity to interpret and analyse various biological, chemical, physical, social and psychosocial stresses, and understand the concept of health impact assessment. The course will focus on several significant areas, including water & public health, air pollution, sustainability, carbon footprinting, and the impact of environmental policy on public health. You will develop a critical understanding of the effects of climate change on the environment, and its subsequent impact on health and wellbeing.
For students who want to further develop and enhance their skills and knowledge in Environmental Health and Well-Being this course can also be used towards the following pathway:
The Master of Public Health course has been validated by the Agency for Public Health Education Accreditation (APHEA). This is an independent international accreditation organisation, providing international and transparent recognition of the quality of the public health master's programme.
The course is delivered online, with live webinars, as well as use of audio and video resources to generate debate and discussion.
The module is assessed through the completion of undertaking a health impact assessment and evaluating the effectiveness of a health impact assessment tool.
2022/23 price for 15 credits: £800
2022/23 price for 30 credits: £1600